Have you ever gotten off a the wrong stop... happened to us once


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Inle Lake
October 18th 2008
Published: November 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

HammockHammockHammock

Jo chilling in her hammock one rainy afternoon.
So many times when we get on a bus in a country where no one speaks english and we can't read the writing I wonder to myself "how do we know where to get off". Every time the bus stops we look at each other and think..."Is this our stop?" You can't go by the time either, a 4 hr bus once took us 14hrs in China because the bus drove BESIDE the highway rather than on it. (long story)

So here we are on a night bus to a town called Kalaw. It was supposed to take from 11am until 5am the next day. Myanmar has very little electricity and so as the sun went down there was no signs to read... not that we could have.... The bus stopped a few times.... we looked around... we shrugged a lot... furrowed our brows in confusion... then at about 6 am the bus stopped again and every one got out... but not in Kalaw.

So there we were at a small junction north of Inle Lake... Opps... it was 4 hrs past our destination, but what the hell! Goin' ta Inle Lake instead!


Inle lake is a
cigarcigarcigar

Smoking. Don't smoke though!
primarily fishing community made up of small villages. Villages are either fish or farm, but all live off of the land... In this case, they make the very land they live off of. Inle lake is known for its floating gardens... lake vegitation is harvested from the bottom of the lake and bound into rows. There they float on the water and are used as soil platforms to grow tomatoes, chillies, and fruit. They are literally floating gardens. As a boat goes by and sends a wake towards them, they gardens roll with them. Very cool to see. NOt to mention how many km's of them we saw! The gardens are resistant to changing water levels (obviously, as they float!), limiting flood damage and they are incredibly fertile, providing truck loads of vegetables (tomatoes while we were there) year round. transportation is largely by canoe though some people have larges canoes with motors.

On the day we arrived, after very little sleep (if any) we found ourselves on a canoe ride through to some of the small villages surrounding Inle. Our Guide Mr. Latay (Latte... easy for me to remember) was an older guy whose pride in his community could not be masked, even with his broken English. on our 7 hour tour through the back waters, we made cigars with a 4 year old, drank tea with families in their homes, and had lunch in a school on stilts above the water... then we napped.... lord how we napped! Mr Latay, looked at me after lunch, threw a jacket on a bench and said "now, sleep". I laughed at first but then he curled up and closed his eyes so we thought "what the hell, when in Myanmar."

The next day we took a motor boat to the other end on Inle (a 22 km lake) and went to the floating market... the floating market is not actually floating, just so you know... not floating at all... we were a little disappointed.... then off to see weaving, and silver making... basically the Thailand tuk tuk tour if you have ever done it. You get taken to all the "family run" workshops and then you are meant to buy stuff. Unlike Thailand there are not as many scams and you can easily get out of a visit if you want, but it was still a tourist trap...except there were very few tourists. The highlight was Shwe Inn Thein. It was a huge assortment of weathered stupas on the side of the mountain overlooking Inle Lake. We preferred the canoe day for sure but it was still a good day on the lake.

Next we really did head for Kalaw, we sat on a road side for a few hour and waited for a bus... when that failed we opted for a pickup taxi. I road for 3 hours on a bag of grain (aren't you proud mom) and Gunnar stood on the tailgate and held on to the rack.




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

L18 369L18 369
L18 369

Our bus tickets to Inle Lake
Photo 9Photo 9
Photo 9

This the picture you will see in travel books. Original way of rowing at Inle Lake!
Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

Scaring fish into the nets
Photo 11Photo 11
Photo 11

Floating gardens.
Photo 12Photo 12
Photo 12

Very Burma
Photo 13Photo 13
Photo 13

Monks walking through the streets at Inle
Photo 14Photo 14
Photo 14

Traditional make-up applied to Joanna by a 5 year old
Photo 17Photo 17
Photo 17

Boats of Inle lined up at market
Photo 18Photo 18
Photo 18

Chili, chili!
Photo 19Photo 19
Photo 19

Inle woman at market
Photo 20Photo 20
Photo 20

dried fish at market
Photo 23Photo 23
Photo 23

doing laundry
Photo 24Photo 24
Photo 24

getting head shaved to be a monk, not sure on this, but there were monks around


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0837s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb