Bagan , Land of Pagodas and Temples


Advertisement
Burma's flag
Asia » Burma » Mandalay Region » Bagan
September 27th 2010
Published: September 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Early morning arrival in Bagan, very hot. Checked into hotel the Thiripyitsaya on the banks of the Irrawaddy, beautiful villa on waters edge. Our first stop was to visit the local market which our driver assured us was like a real live colourful painting, it did not dissapoint.Relaxed for a while watching locals fishing along the river bank.
Time then to hop on board our horse drawn cart for a tour around Bagans famous pagodas and temples. Sheer mind boggling to see . Beautiful red bricked structures of all shapes and sizes. Our driver gave us a very good description of the different designs and styles used . Bought a beautiful book of photos from Bagan Maung Maung , a Burmese photographer, who has his gallery at the north gate of Ananda Temple. Back to our hotel for lunch. Spent an enjoyable time watching workers place new thatch on roof at pool area.
Our driver had suggested we go to the tower to watch the sunset and said he would pick us up at 5 pm, we queried whether that was too early as sunset was at approx 6.40pm,we were assured that this was ok as we could have a drink there and relax. Off we went, my husband was reluctant to go as he thought that the sunset view from the hotel was sufficently dramatic. Anyway we arrived at the tower at approx 5.05pm, inside the tower was completely dark. Lights were put on and we got in the lift which took us to the top of the tower. The views were amazing, 360 deg views of the pagodas and temples. But alas, nowhere comfortable to sit, and as for drinks, ( I had somehow imagined sipping some coctails while we watched the sun perform it magic) we had a choice of beer, which I never drink , and bottles of mineral water. An hour and a half sitting in an empty tower with a reluctant companion , sipping water or back to our hotel for coctails on the terrace, no brainer.
Dinner and bed, another early departure for Inle Lake.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

An hour before sunset!!An hour before sunset!!
An hour before sunset!!

View from top of tower across Bagan


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb