Background: In 1865, Britain and Bhutan signed the Treaty of Sinchulu, under which Bhutan would receive an annual subsidy in exchange for ceding some border land. Under British influence, a monarchy was set up in 1907; three years later, a treaty was signed whereby the British agreed not to interfere in Bhutanese internal affairs and Bhutan allowed Britain to direct its foreign affairs. This role was assumed by independent India after 1947. Two years later, a formal Indo-Bhutanese accord returned the areas of Bhutan annexed by the British, formalized the annual subsidies the country received, and defined India's responsibilities in defense and foreign relations. A refugee issue of some 100,000 Bhutanese in Nepal remains unresolved; 90% of the refugees are housed in seven United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) camps.
Photos from Thimphu
Blogs from Thimphu
Latest Blogs from Thimphu
- December 15th 2012 Maths With Mel Video Link
by Words: 97 Photos: 0
- December 8th 2012 Punishment
by Words: 235 Photos: 14
- November 30th 2012 Our favourite animal noses
by Words: 142 Photos: 7
- October 22nd 2012 Bhutan - The Land of the Thunder Dragon & “Gross National Happiness”
by Words: 5561 Photos: 39
- September 22nd 2012 Did you wash on Saturday? and how much more will Andy grow?
by Words: 104 Photos: 6
- September 21st 2012 Teaching ...... Camera's and Cute Children!!
by Words: 68 Photos: 3
- September 20th 2012 Museums and Markets - Thimphu
by Words: 2381 Photos: 78
- September 10th 2012 Fame!!!!!
by Words: 171 Photos: 0
- August 25th 2012 Staying with Sanga in Hongtsu
by Words: 68 Photos: 4
- August 21st 2012 Our work
by Words: 286 Photos: 1
- August 19th 2012 Settling in...
by Words: 38 Photos: 4
- August 18th 2012 We've arrived!
by Words: 54 Photos: 1
- May 8th 2012 MY DAYS IN BHUTAN: THIMPHU
by Words: 518 Photos: 34
- February 3rd 2012 Visit to Bhutan-Part 1
by Words: 965 Photos: 17
- December 3rd 2011 Bhutan: Land of Dzongs, Goembas, Lha Khangs, and Chortens
by Words: 1423 Photos: 21
- November 10th 2011 Last Weeks in Thimphu
by Words: 447 Photos: 13
- October 24th 2011 Textile Trails Website
by Words: 333 Photos: 4
- October 7th 2011 A Long-overdue Update from Bhutan
by Words: 1613 Photos: 35
- August 16th 2011 In the Newspaper
by Words: 924 Photos: 1
- August 7th 2011 Kiva Microloans
by Words: 146 Photos: 1