Background: In 1865, Britain and Bhutan signed the Treaty of Sinchulu, under which Bhutan would receive an annual subsidy in exchange for ceding some border land. Under British influence, a monarchy was set up in 1907; three years later, a treaty was signed whereby the British agreed not to interfere in Bhutanese internal affairs and Bhutan allowed Britain to direct its foreign affairs. This role was assumed by independent India after 1947. Two years later, a formal Indo-Bhutanese accord returned the areas of Bhutan annexed by the British, formalized the annual subsidies the country received, and defined India's responsibilities in defense and foreign relations. A refugee issue of some 100,000 Bhutanese in Nepal remains unresolved; 90% of the refugees are housed in seven United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) camps.
Photos from Thimphu
Blogs from Thimphu
Latest Blogs from Thimphu
- December 15th 2012 Maths With Mel Video Link
by Words: 97 Photos: 0
- December 8th 2012 Punishment
by Words: 235 Photos: 14
- November 30th 2012 Our favourite animal noses
by Words: 142 Photos: 7
- October 26th 2012 Thimpu
by Words: 685 Photos: 0
- October 22nd 2012 Bhutan - The Land of the Thunder Dragon & “Gross National Happiness”
by Words: 5561 Photos: 39
- September 22nd 2012 Did you wash on Saturday? and how much more will Andy grow?
by Words: 104 Photos: 6
- September 21st 2012 Teaching ...... Camera's and Cute Children!!
by Words: 68 Photos: 3
- September 20th 2012 Museums and Markets - Thimphu
by Words: 2381 Photos: 78
- September 10th 2012 Fame!!!!!
by Words: 171 Photos: 0
- August 25th 2012 Staying with Sanga in Hongtsu
by Words: 68 Photos: 4
- August 21st 2012 Our work
by Words: 286 Photos: 1
- August 19th 2012 Settling in...
by Words: 38 Photos: 4
- August 18th 2012 We've arrived!
by Words: 54 Photos: 1
- May 8th 2012 MY DAYS IN BHUTAN: THIMPHU
by Words: 518 Photos: 34
- February 3rd 2012 Visit to Bhutan-Part 1
by Words: 965 Photos: 17
- December 3rd 2011 Bhutan: Land of Dzongs, Goembas, Lha Khangs, and Chortens
by Words: 1423 Photos: 21
- April 27th 2011 Bhutan day 1
by Words: 888 Photos: 6
- December 29th 2010 Dochula pass : Bhutan
by Words: 133 Photos: 0
- November 19th 2009 Day 5: Tangu/Thangu- Cherry
by Words: 625 Photos: 7
- November 17th 2009 Day 3: Thimpu
by Words: 637 Photos: 7