Arrival


Advertisement
Bangladesh's flag
Asia » Bangladesh » Dhaka » Dhaka
September 1st 2006
Published: September 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dhaka Dhaka Dhaka

View from roof of apartment overlooking Dhaka
Well I have made it to Bangladesh safe and sound! After some initial confusion in Bangkok over the fact that I am not a MR as my transfer states (I have nothing to hide!) I arrived to Dhaka on Wednesday, which also happened to be a Hatel (Nation wide strike in response to some deaths in a mine). Bedeshi (or foreigners, my first Bengali word, are you proud?) are not supposed to travel on a Hatel because of the chance of violence (burning buses is apparently a good past time), but Cam and Nic braved it and met me at the airport under tight security (it would appear every one has guns) and we jumped in a blue taxi (don't take the black ones) and headed to their apartment in Dhaka. My first meal in Bangladesh, vegemite sandwiches (Thanks Liz!). I donned the traditional Bengali dress and we went a wondering. Being a Hatel the streets were pretty quiet so it was a nice slow introduction to Bangladesh, which is not often that empty.

Tips to Dressing Bengali Style.
If you are a woman, despite the 30-40 degree temperature, humidity and the fact you are probably doing manual labour, bums
Shawla KameezShawla KameezShawla Kameez

Me wearing a Shawla Kameez (this orna is mini skirt version ie short)
and boobs should be covered at all times. This means pants to the floor (think pantaloons with no draw string so you have to pin them) a shawla kameez (short sleeved, thank goodness!, top with goes to about knee length) and an orna. Here in lies the tricky part. Ornas are extra long scarves you wear either backwards which cover your boobs and drape over your bum or forwards so it covers your boobs. Either way, do not let it come off because by Bengali men standards that means you are nakie! and will get even more stares. And try not to get it caught in a rickshaw, blow away or fall off (easier said than done). Bengali women will be very distraught if there orna gets stuck and they almost choke because they have 'exposed' themselves. Carol on the other hand will be ditching that orna so fast and exposing herself to the world because she would rather preserve her airway.
If you are a guy. wear whatever you want. Pants, shorts, skirts, tshirts, no shirts. It does seem a little unfair, but it is a male dominated society, so I guess it's to be expected.

People are
Outside windowOutside windowOutside window

Giant drill outside apartment. Dhaka's population is growing exponetially so there is a lot of building.
very friendly, there are not many white people around so it is common to gather a crowd and attract a large amount of staring. And apparently if you go to more remote parts, children are scared of you because they have never seen white skin.


Hope you're all good and Thanks for all the well wishes.
I stay with Cam and Nic til Monday and then join my agency, so will definetley have more stories to share! Talk soon.
Carol



Advertisement



3rd September 2006

Bangla girl
Hey my bangla girl, very proud you! You're doing very well indeed with the orna! Take care, love you heaps!
25th September 2006

Great to read of your travels!
So glad you are writing a journal, Carol! Keep it up. We will follow your experiences with great interest and prayer!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb