Sheki, Azerbaijan


Advertisement
Azerbaijan's flag
Asia » Azerbaijan » Baku
May 20th 2014
Published: May 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Sheki




If it is a border crossing day, it must be raining! Another border crossing in the rain. That makes five in a row.

The contrast between Tbilisi and the rest of Georgia is huge. Tbilisi is full of BMWs and Mercedes. The country side is less full of old and unrecognizable vevicles and the Sprinter van minibuses with crazy drivers. The country side looks quite poor and provided new traffic hazards to avoid - horse and donkey carts in abundance, and a few tractors with very wide plows. We have seen a few carts before, but today there were dozens hauling all kinds of farm stuff.

The Azerbaijan border crossing was less trouble than Georgia. In Azerbaijan almost everybody waves or honks or flashes their lights. Lots of school kids were taking pictures with their phones. We were probably the excitement of the week.

Tomorrow we go to Baku and try to get on a freighter to Turkmenistan. There are no scheduled sailings, so you just wait until a boat is ready. Getting off is even harder than getting on. The crossing is going to be an adventure.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb