Day 9 - The Last Day of Work


Advertisement
Armenia's flag
Asia » Armenia » West » Yerevan
July 22nd 2008
Published: July 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wren, Anna, and GayaneWren, Anna, and GayaneWren, Anna, and Gayane

The Mom of the family after giving Wren and Anna their gifts
Sam Yet Again:

I think the kids are having too much fun at night to blog....so it goes. Leo paid my Internet fees yesterday and I told him that in return I would mention him today...done.

Today was the last day of work on the site. We finished the front stairs and then spent the rest of the time until lunch passing buckets of pumice up to the attic. The Fuller team was glad that we stopped using the old ladder made or recycled wood and poles and didn't drop any buckets on anyone's head.

Izzy's 17th birthday was today and there was cake and the local family gave him a very nice Modonna and child clock (there weren't up on the fact that he was actually Jewish - or was it Zoroastrian?....or perhaps was from one of the lost Armenian tribes?) that we all thought was quite nice and a big expense for the family, probably nicer than a Moses and the Ten Commandments clock anyway. They, in fact, gave us all gifts...which was very sweet.

The boy of the family, Hovsep, has become my 10 year old Armenina bee intern and I have taught him to collect bees in bowls and with my net. I gave him some bowls and a net at the end of the day and the Fuller folks are going to get him a jar of alcohol so he can keep collecting this year and then we can make arrangements to send them back to me with someone during the winter or next year. All his material will have his name on as collector and ultimately end up on the Internet and, who knows, he may find a new species.

At the end we said our good byes with kisses and hugs, but will likely see the family tomorrow at the house blessing we will be going to in the same village.

Tonight we saw a performance of the Armenian State Honorable Dance and Song Ensemble. Tremendous show. There was a chorus, traditonal instruments (no western ones at all), and a mens and womens set of dancers. The drummers were excellent and it has inspired me to see if I can pick up a drum and lessons back in the states. Their drum is usually drummed with the hands but is covered on both sides. It was a very tight show, far better than the ballet. The women danced in long dresses (changed several times) and much of the performance was in arm, torso, hand, and head movements to the music. So Lovely and full of balance and grace. The men were athletic, lots of on the toes jumps, fast steps, somewhat similar to rapper and morris dance, but less rigid and more head and torso movements.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



22nd July 2008

congrats!
That is great that you got to the end of the cement job by your last day. That house will probably last forever - perhaps Hovsep will raise his kids and grandkids there too. You all deserve new shirts with extra long sleeve to accomodate your extra long arms. -- Ann
23rd July 2008

This is great, reading what you all have been experiencing, impressive that everyone has been doing all this hard work in hot conditions. But all these buckets of concrete--do they not have wheelbarrows in Armenia? I second that previous commentor about Stuart getting a pair of pointy toed Armenian shoes! Hope you all have a speedy and safe return.
23rd July 2008

Armenian Rapper like dancing..cool!
well it would be so fun to explore the roots of dance styles! hope your last 3 days are full of wonder!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb