Monasteries and bad bills...


Advertisement
Armenia's flag
Asia » Armenia » West » Yerevan
July 31st 2006
Published: August 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

AlaverdiAlaverdiAlaverdi

Soviet mines and factories in Alaverdi
So what is Armenia all about...? Well, there are a lot of old beautiful monasteries and the nature is fantastic... But be warned it is also a country where you are constantly fighting with waiters, taxi drivers, marshrutka drivers and store clerks... Non existing drinks are put on the bills in restaurants, the taxi drivers always grossly overcharge you and nobody seems to be happy with your business... When you enter a shop you get the feeling that you have disturbed them from drinking coffee or the fine art of staring at the wall and that they rather have you leave... You ask for 500 grams of something and you will get 700 grams and when you point it out they insult you and reluctantly take a bit more off... After a while it really tires you out...

That said the country itself is very nice and the normal folk too... They just still have a soviet mentality...

I travelled Armenia with a group of people, Jazz an American, Saskia and Jorg a Belgium-German couple and for a while also with Hetty and Luuk a Dutch couple.. Jazz entertained us the whole trip with stories of his bowel problems
AlaverdiAlaverdiAlaverdi

We were staying on the top floor
(and believe me, he was having a lot of it!!) much to Jorg's delight...

We started our trip on a good foot, when the border guards tried to refuse Jazz's and my passport... Jazz, because he had an Azerbaijan visa in his passport and me because of my Iranian one... After getting through that we went to Alaverdi where we stayed in a private apartment arranged by ultra slick manager Armen! From here we visited two UNESCO protected monasteries which were really very impressive... Than we went on to Dilijan, where Hetty and Luuk went to stay in a B&B and we stayed in another private home stay (without running water)... The next day we went to another two monasteries and than left for Yerevan, leaving a sick Hetty and Luuk behind... We were welcomed by the evil witch Anahit, who cheated us at her home stay, but as it was still very cheap we remained there (although Saskia and Jorg left after 3 days to another home stay) for the next 6 days and took side trips to different monasteries and mountains... We climbed Mt. Aragat, Armenia's highest peak and had lots of beers on Yerevan's many terraces...
AlaverdiAlaverdiAlaverdi

The group I was traveling with, on the left of the table, Hetty and Jorg on the right, Jazz, me and Saskia.. Luuk is taking the photo..


Than we went down south to Goris to visit Tatev another monastary and along the way also saw Noravank... After this we took a long marshrutka ride back to Yerevan and an even longer train ride to Tbilisi... Lucky for us we brought plenty of booze with us, which made the trip that much more enjoyable...



Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

AlaverdiAlaverdi
Alaverdi

Sanahin Monastery, with the Surp Astvatstsin (Holy Mother of God)Church
AlaverdiAlaverdi
Alaverdi

A closer look at Surp Astvatsatsin
AlaverdiAlaverdi
Alaverdi

The bell tower
AlaverdiAlaverdi
Alaverdi

Khatchkar's were scattered around the site
AlaverdiAlaverdi
Alaverdi

A candle by the alter..
AlaverdiAlaverdi
Alaverdi

Haghpat village and monestary
AlaverdiAlaverdi
Alaverdi

Haghpat monastic complex
AlaverdiAlaverdi
Alaverdi

Main entrance to Surp Nishan
AlaverdiAlaverdi
Alaverdi

Inside Surp Nishan
AlaverdiAlaverdi
Alaverdi

Beautiful Khatchkar
DilijanDilijan
Dilijan

Haghartsin Monastery
DilijanDilijan
Dilijan

Atmospheric candles
YerevanYerevan
Yerevan

Armenian Genocide Memorial
YerevanYerevan
Yerevan

The undying fire at the Memorial
YerevanYerevan
Yerevan

Yerevan Opera house and square
YerevanYerevan
Yerevan

The Cascade
YerevanYerevan
Yerevan

Katoghike Church
YerevanYerevan
Yerevan

Details on the Zoravar Church


13th August 2007

Thanks Ralf
Those are real great photos... but i have also smth to add regarding ppl cheating you, haha i know how it happens, but in Western societies cheating is done on official level, as life is much more expensive not mentioning even appartment renting !!! so which one do you prefer?
8th September 2007

As an Armenian
I understand, I am a North AMerican domesticated Armenians. We don't like the rude behavior of Hayastancis, Armenia Armenians either!
3rd December 2010

Our trip to Dilijan
I am happy to find this page, the photos reminded me with our trip on summer 2010 to Dilijan. The crisp air and the wonderful colors make you wish the holiday never ended.. There is no other place like Dilijan, colorful, vibrant, incredibly romantic & simply irresistible. My family and I, we stayed in two different hotels, the first was Dili Villa B&B where it was funny to find the place dirty and kind of strange smell in the house, but the most funny part was the bed bug bites we had, we left same day to Tufenkian Hotel where we could find a nice, warm shelter during our 4 day trip in the small swiss Dilijan. We will never forget that trip and we will come again soon. Best wishes Alex Schwaar
4th March 2011
Dilijan

Concern
We are frequent traveller to Armenia, once a year my family and I we pay a visit to Armenia, to see our beloved ones and meantime we make some trips around. Our latest trip dated February 2011, was as usual great, till we went to Dilijan city for a one day trip. Overnighting was decided upon the advise of locals in Dilijan, to stay at Dili Villa B&B located at Miyasnikyan Str. To our surprise after we paid, we found out that this place is not in normal conditions, such as the bedrooms smelled from the old carpet, the bed sheets where dirty with blood circles on it, the toilet was in a very bad condition that we couldnt use ! Had difficulties to sleep at night. We wished to leave but we decided to stay for a one night and leave next morning. After we left we discovered that we had bites on our entire body ! I guess this place is infected and must be observed by a specialist. We hope such places wont operate in Armenia for travellers and such problems wont disturb tourists that would like to have the best out of their spending on their holidays!!
21st March 2011
Dilijan

Our trip to Dilijan was wonderful, we felt in comfort being surrounded with forests all around. The mild climate and the great atmosphere made our holiday extravagant. Upon arrival we have made a request to the taxi driver to show us some historical places, the driver was very pleasant to make our wish come true. We have been to the churches available, and the 2 museums. After the trip we had a lunch at one of the restaurants nearby tried an Armenian delicious food that I forgot the name now, and then the driver offered us to stay at Dili Villa B&B if we wish to stay for longer. We have been very glad that we will be staying a day more in Dilijan city, we wished to enjoy the next day the nature, but unfortunately we found the B&B service awful. The place is not hygienic, not in good order, the toilets out of order and no hot water, the place smelled and the owner was a disturbing personality. I do not recommend this B&B to anyone. Next day, we have been to Parz lake and then we have been driven back to the city Yerevan the capital of Armenia.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb