Last stop in South America


Advertisement
Antarctica
May 23rd 2011
Published: May 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After enjoying two dubbed Steven Segal films (from Steven Segal vol.1 DVD collection) on our bus ride, we arrived in Lima to be greeted by Jane at the hostel. Our hostel was based in Miraflores, the rich area of the city by the coast. We took a walk down to the bay (the sea smell & pier reminded us of Brighton) and had dinner in a shopping mall based on the cliff edge. As we were all tired we finished the evening with a cinema trip, watching Solitary Man. Unfortunately I would not recommend it.

Walking tour
We joined a free walking tour which was based in the centre of the city. The architecture and feel in the centre is very different to the area we're staying. We learnt about the history of the city & Peru; how the Spanish invaded and the fall of the Incas. Interestingly, although the city has old architecture designs, the buildings are young as the city has suffered frequent earthquakes throughout it's history.

Our guide recommended for us to visit the Catacombs. The tour showed us the library (that could be in Harry Potter), the choir room, cathedral and the underground rooms full of bones. They do not know many bones rest there as they still haven't been able to go through it all, despite being first founded in the 70s.

Sadly the next day Jane left us to fly Las Vegas. Lucille I spent our last day in Lima by having lunch in china town. In the early evening we headed to a water fountain park. It consisted of 10-15 large water fountains, some were lit up with a light display, others you could walk around.

In the evening we befriended some british boys, watched a spanish horror film called Rec. It was so good/scary we had the boys walk us up to our roof bedroom (it was creepy and on it's own outside the main block so completely acceptable!)

The next day we walked along the sea front before grabbing our flight to Panama City.

Sent from my iPod

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb