Antarctica: Neumayer Channel


Advertisement
Antarctica's flag
Antarctica » Antarctica » South Shetland Islands
February 22nd 2009
Published: July 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=0oy2aiy14BQ]We spent most of Sunday in the Neumayer Channel and the Gerlache Strait. The Gerlache Strait is a channel/strait separating the Palmer Archipelago from the Antarctic Peninsula. Neumayer Channel is 16 miles long and about 1.5 miles wide, separating Anvers Island from Wiencke Island. There were countless icebergs of all shapes and sizes. It wasn't a very clear day, but the landscape was no less impressive. The overcast skies brought out the deep blues in the glacier ice. I spent most of of the day outside on the open decks. I had on about six layers of clothes. Neumayer Channel is known for its majestic cliffs. It is said to be like a maze with no visible exits because of its inverted S-shape. Its entrance and exits both have sharp bends. I would love to return to Antarctica someday on a smaller ship. While this cruise was beautiful with all the comforts of home, being able to actually step foot on Antarctica is still a goal of mine.

This would be our last day in Antarctica. We were scheduled to spend tomorrow at Deception Island, but an approaching severe storm in the Drake Passage forced our early departure from the area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0246s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb