Let it Begin


Advertisement
Antarctica's flag
Antarctica » Antarctica » McMurdo Station
January 3rd 2009
Published: January 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

DeltaDeltaDelta

in all of its hugeness. I sit in the back.
Woke up, ate breakfast, then read until a meeting at 10:30 in which I learned nothing important, because I cannot remember what it was about. Probably something to do with recycling or protecting the environment.

Went to cargo to see if we could get our box shipped out to Williams (Willy) Field, and they said tonight at the latest, so we ate lunch then headed out to Willy to see what we can do. The normal shuttles that go out there are Deltas, hug trucks with 4.5' tall wheels that are 3' wide -- spreads the weight of this behemoth over a larger area so as to not break through.

Since our enclosure was not out there, we could not do more than disassemble the old one, so that is what we did: stopped the wind turbines and disconnected them, unmounted the solar panels and removed them from the power grid, unhooked the batteries, powered down the experiments, that sort of thing (when I get more time, I will go into detail more about what I am doing. For now, just the boring day to day stuff).

That is it. Wait for other people to do stuff for
The Old BoxThe Old BoxThe Old Box

Transform!! I wish it were that easy... and cool...
us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

InnardsInnards
Innards

electronics rack, batteries, and circuit breaker
Wind...?Wind...?
Wind...?

I have harnessed it! It shall not blow! Went dumpster diving for things to stop the generator for electrocuting us.


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 996.1kb