HOPE BAY AND ANTARCTIC SOUND


Advertisement
Antarctica's flag
Antarctica » Antarctica » Hope Station
January 23rd 2013
Published: January 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

DANCO COAST, LEMAIRE CHANNEL, NEUMAYER CHANNEL AND HOPE BAY, Tuesday, January 22. Another slow start to the day weather-wise; foggy, cold, rainy and some snow flurries. By 2:OO pm it cleared so we could see the sights. A lot of hardy souls went outside for pictures and to see the view without the windows distorting it, but I chose to stay warm. I saw a lot of penguins, no whales today, but lots and lots of natural beauty. We went through the Antarctic Sound, nicknamed “Iceberg Alley” because of the size and number of icebergs. They are flat, top out about 100 feet above the water and large enough for one to two football fields to be placed on them. Also visible was the Argentine research station and some large penguin rookeries. I did venture out, at the suggestion of the commentator, to sniff the air to, as he said, remember “eau de penguin“, a distinctive aroma which those who have visited penguin exhibits in zoos will remember (some might call it stink).

Dinner tonight in the Canaletto, an Italian specialty restaurant and after dinner, a show and then to the Crow’s Nest where the DJ played “Oldies Night”. Tomorrow morning we will pass Admiralty Bay and head to Elephant Island. We are beginning our northern route. An interesting question from yesterday’s lectures to the Palmer Station staff related to what time zone is the South Pole in? Actually, the same question could be asked about the North Pole. The answer was the time zone of their supply station is the one they use.

The staff, whether you’re talking about room stewards, wait staff, bartenders, beverage servers, maintenance staff and any one else you meet are all friendly and helpful. My belt, however, continues to shrink. Must be the cold air.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



23rd January 2013

belt size
Hello Chuck, Bob says that once you go south of the equator you expand. It will contract when you come back north. I, on the other hand, say you must know that there is a gym on that ship. :)

Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0909s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb