Nikki Beach Club


Advertisement
Africa
June 21st 2006
Published: July 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Nikki Beach Club



How to describe Nikki Beach Club?

We arrived around 4PM in attempt to escape the sweltering African afternoon heat to a high white painted wall with two white directors chairs and table in front of the entrance. There was a modern floral display of white calla lilies and grass on a table covered in a pristine floor length white tablecloth. Five men all clothed in white smiled at us as we handed them the invitation card from our riad. It was all screaming South Beach.

“Oh yes please welcome”

Ok, I don’t know what Heather is thinking but I am thinking we are way out of our league. Gone are the days when we used to sneak into 5 star hotel pools in places like Bali. We are actually guests, but I can’t help but feel like a trespasser.

We headed down the red gravel path. Deep green manicured gardens filled with palm trees surrounded us, the vibration of pulsating European disco music reverberating off our chests. The winding path ended, opening onto a deep blue pool surrounded by large king size white leather sun beds with big leather pillows. There were two dinning pavilions and bar in the pool. Only the most beautiful of European tourists and Moroccan elite sunbathed in D&G, Gucci and Channel sunglasses and little else. Big silver Champaign buckets were at almost every table, old European men with groups of women almost half my age.

WOW AM I OUT OF PLACE: Too white, too fat, too American, too clothed! But, they thought we had money and we were American adding to the international flavor of the place so we were accepted. Like we could so afford this place, I bet a glass of water costs 20 USD.

At the end of the path we were met by a pool attendant who looked nervously at us in his D&G sunglasses. He asked us something in French. Heather and I just looked at each other and then said the name of our riad in unison. He sighed in apparent relief and lead us to one of the large sun beds by the pool edge spreading fluffy apricot colored towels out for each of us and then escorted us to the changing house. Evidently the classiness of our hotel makes my Old Navy outfit and REI backpack acceptable.

After changing we laid out to the odd mix of Kung Fu Fighting, Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head (Our travel theme song: it gets played at least once on each of our trips I swear) Frank Sinatra hits, etc.

I slipped into the deep water of the cool pool. In the 104 F afternoon heat it felt amazing.
Heather stated the obvious “They are going to have to kick up out of this place because I am never leaving.”
Ditto.

Heather then looked at me and smiled “We are sooo coming back here tomorrow.”

One underwear male model later - no I am not joking they had a photo shoot poolside and the largest bottle of Champagne I have ever seen being poured over several topless girls dancing it was time to leave.

Nikki Beach Club - one crazy place-


Advertisement



Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 15; qc: 82; dbt: 0.1081s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb