A bit of Tadjoura


Advertisement
Africa
April 20th 2006
Published: April 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Tadjoura Tadjoura Tadjoura

The mountains behind are part of the Great Rift Valley.
The golf of Tadjoura offers a nice view from the offshore.

Tadjoura, also the capital of the district that bears the same name is very
close to the sea front and lays on the Great Rift valley. It is quite populated and a busy place.
Salt extraction from the Lake Assal and its transportation on the back of the camels is the main activity of the locals there, as is fishing.
They also commercialise still water called Tadjoura.
They are a few local restaurants with fresh fish on the menu and an impressive array of choice.
The meals are copious and often inexpensive compared to the prices across the bay at Djibouti.
The beaches are immense and empty so we are spoiled for choice as we are for the fish. Tadjoura has its own charm and is a very pleasant place to relax, eat plenty and contemplate the seascape
There are five districts that divide the entire political territory of Djibouti. They are:
Tadjoura, Obock, Ali Sabieh, Dikhil and Djibouti.
Tadjoura is the largest of all with 7.300 square kilometres and 45.000 inhabitants.
Dikhil is slightly smaller with 7.200 sqkms and accommodates 52.000.
Ali-Sabieh has an all told 49.500 inhabitants for a total surface of 2.400 sqkms.
Surprisingly, Djibouti, with a total area of 600 sqkms shelters a staggering 420.000 strong population. It’s two and a half time more than all the other districts put together. People have deserted mountains for the town in search of better living and the reason is down to a lack of rich or fruitful soils. Black lava, rocs and heat with no rain predominate. Political events also, at some stage have contributed to the desertification of it's mountains inhabitants.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Tadjoura or ArtaTadjoura or Arta
Tadjoura or Arta

Can't remember the location. Can you help?
Tadjoura Tadjoura
Tadjoura

All year round fresh fish
Tadjoura Tadjoura
Tadjoura

Tadjoura-Djibouti ferry


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb