Durban - Australia v Germany


Advertisement
Africa
June 13th 2010
Published: June 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Picture 024Picture 024Picture 024

Durban beachront (From a bar)
Game Day being my birthday, I was a happy chappy, leading up to the game.

Spent a couple days in Durban around Morningside where I was staying, going to bars and checking out the town.

Had to go to the Bluff, which is way over on the other side of the harbour to meet up with the boys at our accomodation. I dumped my bags and tried to get back to the Fan Fest to watch the opening South African game, but by the time I got back, it was full and they were turning thousands away. Headed back to Morningside and watched the game with a German TV presenter and her local camera man.

The local went berserk when they scored, but quietened down as the Mexicans drew level. Was a great atmosphere all over the city.

For the Australia game, we got into the Fan Fest to watch Ghana beat Serbia then made the march with about 30,000 people, German and Australian, via the Casino (you have to walk past it) to the stadium which was an absolutely amazing spectacle. Watched them all warm up all was going well, until Pim picked the team. Then
Picture 026Picture 026Picture 026

Outside the Stadium, before Spain Switzerland
we lost 4-0. Pim's fault, not to mention the cheating ref who sent off Cahill, our best player.

Stadium and atmosphere was amazing. Having walked around with the Vuvuzuelas for the week prior, you get kind of used to them. UNfortunately I forgot my camera, so friends will have to check what's available on facebook from my mates' photos.

A couple of days later, we had tickets to Spain v Switzerland, where the Spanish played some great football, but the Swiss got the bikkies. Big crowd again and a good game to get in to.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Picture 029Picture 029
Picture 029

The Stadium


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb