Background: The UK annexed Southern Rhodesia from the South Africa Company in 1923. A 1961 constitution was formulated that favored whites in power. In 1965 the government unilaterally declared its independence, but the UK did not recognize the act and demanded more complete voting rights for the black African majority in the country (then called Rhodesia). UN sanctions and a guerrilla uprising finally led to free elections in 1979 and independence (as Zimbabwe) in 1980. Robert MUGABE, the nation's first prime minister, has been the country's only ruler (as president since 1987) and has dominated the country's political system since independence. His chaotic land redistribution campaign begun in 2000 caused an exodus of white farmers, crippled the economy, and ushered in widespread shortages of basic commodities. Ignoring international condemnation, MUGABE rigged the 2002 presidential election to ensure his reelection. Opposition and labor groups launched general strikes in 2003 to pressure MUGABE to retire early; security forces continued their brutal repression of regime opponents.
Photos from Gweru
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Gweru
Latest Blogs from Gweru
- July 24th 2012 Overlanding Through Zimbabwe
by Words: 696 Photos: 55
- November 8th 2011 You are welcome
by Words: 230 Photos: 0
- September 16th 2010 Lions; cubs, walks and stalks at Antelope Park
by Words: 569 Photos: 22
- April 27th 2010 Update three - The Zimbabwe files
by Words: 1132 Photos: 0
- December 2nd 2009 Lion Adventures!
by Words: 561 Photos: 0
- July 19th 2009 Heaven in Africa!
by Words: 1319 Photos: 0
- November 6th 2007 From Malawi to Zimbabwe - Antelope Park
by Words: 896 Photos: 0
- August 25th 2007 Walk with lions.
by Words: 686 Photos: 19
- August 24th 2007 Antelope Park - an absolutely must visit place!
by Words: 1281 Photos: 3
- June 25th 2007 Antelope Park
by Words: 231 Photos: 7
- June 17th 2007 Antelope Park
by Words: 1173 Photos: 18
- May 15th 2003 Antelope Park - Baby Lions!
by Words: 712 Photos: 5