Truck Trip - Livingstone


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
August 10th 2010
Published: November 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Many sore heads for the early start this morning. The most ridiculous border crossing yet. We are only about 30mins from the border so have stamped out of Botswana by 6:30am, we then drive the short distance to the river where we join the queue. There is only one ferry going back and forth the 1km crossing and cars seem to take priority. We are only truck number 2 but that doesn't stop an intrepid truck trying to push in, Jon stands in front of their truck and even wrestles the driver for a while, they are then noticed and the truck is sent to the back. It's a scenic sun rise and there are hippos around but we have to be careful about photos as it is still a border. We finally get on the 3rd trip and then queue the other side for our visas and the truck paperwork. We finally get on the move about 10:30am! Livingstone is only a few more km away so we stop for lunch and to get Kwacha (currency), then off to the falls. Sammy tells us we may get a little wet, which we think is fine. What an understatement!! We get drenched to the skin, I struggle to hide my camera from the water. The walkway is right next to the cliff side so the spray is right on us, in fact at some points there is low visibility for photos due to the spray. The wettest part is the walk over the small bridge, impossible to avoid the mist, but good rainbow viewings. Amazing sight, and so close. Bit nervous in some parts though as the floor is wet and slippy and there is no barrier on the cliff edge!
In the evening we go to Ocean Basket for dinner, it has no electricity for most of the meal, apparently parts of town take it in turns to go without!
Next morning is the helicopter ride over the falls. Never been in a helicopter before so it's exciting. The take off is very smooth and almost feels like being in a simulation game. We see a few animals on our way over to the falls, and we get a pre-recorded history in our headphones. The sight is amazing, it is only now we can really see how large it is and how much water is constantly thundering over the cliff. there are also many rainbows which make it even more spectacular.
This evening is the booze cruise we've all been waiting for. $45 for 2.5hrs, unlimited booze. Most people would think that is expensive but we manage to drink more than our money's worth. There was apparently food too but I don't remember that or leaving the boat. We continue to the auditorium to start our own disco, and we finally get our trip t-shirts, typos and all!!
Next day is the walk with lions. They are 2 sisters, 8 months old, not small though! They are still huge and dangerous. We are given sticks to hold, if the lion starts to take a fancy to you, wave the stick far away to distract their attention!! At first they are sleeping, so we get to stroke them, but then they go for a hunting walk. There is not much about so we don't get to see a kill, but they find it fun climbing a tree. That is, until they realise they are too scared to get back down! Great experience.
Finally it's time for the trip to continue North, and me to go off on my own into Zimbabwe. It has been a great 3 weeks and I'll miss the truck family 😞


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb