The BEST Day So Far!!


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone » Mukuni Village
October 18th 2012
Published: November 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

This is the best day so far, just truly wonderful day!!!

First we went to the Zimbabwe side of Victoria Falls which was just spectacular!! The water is actually really low (when we come back it will be April-July timeframe to see the falls in all it's glory), but it's still incredible to see, very beautiful. From there we could see Devil's Pool where John is going to hang over the falls before we leave. Yikes!

On our way across the border, a guy was trying to sell us a note of 10 Trillion Zimbabwe currency (old currency as they use the dollar now, I forget the name). Our guide told us that 10 Trillion wouldn't buy a loaf of bread, but 100 Trillion would!

After getting back to Zambia, we had an amazing 90 mins couples massage on the banks of the Zambezi. It was set up so that as you look through the hole in the massage table, there is a mirror so you can see the water. If you're lucky you'll be able to watch the hippos, we weren't but we could hear them! The massage just felt amazing!

Then we had a relaxing, absolutely delicious lunch at the hotel restaurant. John had gazpacho and I had cold Asian noodle salad as appetizers, then John had a meze platter (falafel, hummus, tzatiki, etc) and I had a roasted butternut squash, beet, goat cheese, carmelized nuts on spinach salad... we had mint chocolate ice cream pie for dessert....YUMMY!!!

In the evening, we went on a super fun boat safari down the Zambezi river. Saw a school of hippos... they can charge both in water and on land, in water at 15km/hr. You cannot swim at all in the Zambezi because of the hippos (very dangerous!) and crocodiles. Saw quite a few other animals during the safari as well.

For dinner, John had talked the restaurant manager into giving us the "monkey tree table" for our dinner table since it was our honeymoon. Gorgeous and super romantic, private dinner!! We asked if it was called the monkey tree table because the monkey's would come bother us. Our waiter said the monkeys will bother tables of women, but if there is a man there they don't!

I had an timbale of goat cheese as an appetizer (goat cheese wrapped in roasted aubergine with peppers, sundried tomato and baby marrow served on a bell pepper coulis and basil pesto) and for an entree absolutely fabulous vegetable cannelloni (Cannelloni ragout of fresh vegetables, gratinated and topped with a bechamel sauce) for an entree.

John had the beef carpaccio with roasted garlic and a bouquet of lettuce for an appetizer and Norwegian Salmon, garlic mashed potatoes, and stir fried veggies for an entree.

For dessert we had the "chocolate forever": Callibaut dark chocolate fondant, white chocolate raspberry mousse, dark chocolate and cointreau ice-cram chococlate box with rich dark chocolate truffles.



What a fantastic day!!!

Our guide in Zimbabwe



Victoria Falls



Victoria Falls



Monkeys at Victoria Falls



Monkeys at Victoria Falls



Giraffe in the road at Royal Livingston



Royal Livingston where we stayed



Dinner at the monkey tree table




Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb