Africa Winter 2012


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone » Mukuni Village
February 15th 2012
Published: February 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are coming to the end of our tour. The last highlight of the trip is Victoria Falls, one of the Seven Wonders of the World. It is twice as high and twice as wide as Niagara Falls.

As it is too much red tape to take our bus across the river into Zambia, we sadly bid our bus driver Barry good bye in the morning. A very short ferry ride across the Chobe river puts us into Zambia- and of course, there is a $50.00 customs fee to enter. I mention this fact for two reasons- one is- as usual, Canadians are always charged the most it seems when entering other countries- the second reason has to more to do with my travel agent...........my personal travel agent. Altho he does a WONDERFUL job of planning our trips, this time- he made one small error. When booking our extra nights at Victoria Falls, he failed to notice that the hotel he picked was in ANOTHER country- therefore- another $75.00 entry fee to go to Zimbabwe- and since he didn't notice that, he didn't notice that we were to fly out from Zambia some four days later- hence- another $50.00 fee to re-enter Zambia- only to head for the airport and fly out!!!! OUCH!!!!

I do have to say tho- the stay in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, was much nicer than it would have been in Livingston, Zambia! We could walk everywhere- making it convenient to visit the falls numerous times.

We spent one night on the Zambia side- our last night with Jacques and the rest of our tour mates. WE took a cab to the falls, and spent a pleasant couple of hours walking around admiring the view- and getting VERY wet. It was also our first rainy day- so it didn't matter whether the water was from the sky or the falls- we were soaked. Luckily, with the warm temperatures- it doesn't take long to dry out between rain showers!

The morning that the others were all leaving to go back home, we decided not to squeeze in a ride in an ultralight airplane- thinking that we would do it on another day- one with better weather- and more relaxed with the timing.

WRONG!

We bid farewell to our friends- and our trusted tour guide. Over 21 days, we traveled 5,400 km, and 4 countries together. IT was a great trip- with a great group of people.

We arranged a cab to take us to the border, and had to switch cabs at the border gate- getting into a Zimbabwe cab- which took us to our Hotel.

We spent 4 lovely days in this luxury hotel- we walked to the bridge over looking the falls- watched the bungee jumpers- ( and yes, this is the one where the cord broke on some Australian girl- check it out on YouTube) , watched the zip line, the swing- and laughed when some woman commented that there is no medicine for stupidity..........jumping off a bridge???????

We went into the falls park on the Zimbabwe side- it gave us a much better view- altho- once again- we were SOAKED! But it felt good to be wet, as it was so hot that day anyway!

We decided to ask about the ultralight flight- only to find out that the only place they do it is on the Zambia side.........

So- we ended up fitting it in on the day we left for the airport- it was pretty spectacular. There is nothing like being up in the air with your feet dangling (well, not quite) out- over the falls- looking at hippos and crocodiles and elephants! Sorry- they don't allow us to take up cameras, in case you drop it and it ends up in the propeller!

Upon finishing the flight, some other visitors there discussed with us how it is safer to go para gliding- kite sailing- helicoptering- anything but in a ultralight!!! Good to know! Glad she didn't tell us that before we went!

OK- once again- I'll stop blathering- enjoy the pictures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 47, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

A drumming sessionA drumming session
A drumming session

The locals taught us how to use the bongo drums.
The Kingdom HotelThe Kingdom Hotel
The Kingdom Hotel

4 days spent in style
The restaurantThe restaurant
The restaurant

OK- not us- we didn't choose these thrill like adventures!
Statue of David LivingstonStatue of David Livingston
Statue of David Livingston

Mark and Jacques- he thought Mark reminded him of David Lingston- always exploring


16th February 2012

Lucky!
It's a wonderful thing in this world when you can still go to such an amazing tourist attraction and virtually have it to yourselves..Cherish the memories! I'm happy you've had a safe and great trip.Cheers
16th February 2012

Wow!
Thanks for posting!

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb