Background: The territory of Northern Rhodesia was administered by the South Africa Company from 1891 until it was taken over by the UK in 1923. During the 1920s and 1930s, advances in mining spurred development and immigration. The name was changed to Zambia upon independence in 1964. In the 1980s and 1990s, declining copper prices and a prolonged drought hurt the economy. Elections in 1991 brought an end to one-party rule, but the subsequent vote in 1996 saw blatant harassment of opposition parties. The election in 2001 was marked by administrative problems with three parties filing a legal petition challenging the election of ruling party candidate Levy MWANAWASA. The new president launched a far-reaching anti-corruption campaign in 2002, which resulted in the prosecution of former President Frederick CHILUBA and many of his supporters in late 2003. Opposition parties currently hold a majority of seats in the National Assembly.
Photos from Mukuni Village
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Mukuni Village
Latest Blogs from Mukuni Village
- October 20th 2012 Last Day of our Trip - Visiting Devil's Pool
by Words: 206 Photos: 32
- October 18th 2012 The BEST Day So Far!!
by Words: 556 Photos: 43
- October 17th 2012 Off to Livingston in Zambia!
by Words: 331 Photos: 26
- February 15th 2012 Africa Winter 2012
by Words: 680 Photos: 47
- January 7th 2012 Culture tour
by Words: 155 Photos: 7
- February 12th 2011 Last Day in Zambia
by Words: 602 Photos: 4
- October 13th 2010 zambia
by Words: 8 Photos: 0
- April 4th 2010 Zambia - Zambezi River and Victoria Falls
by Words: 560 Photos: 11
- October 23rd 2009 Botswana Wild Day 20 - Oct 17
by Words: 597 Photos: 53
- June 4th 2009 Victoria Falls and the in betweens!
by Words: 955 Photos: 6
- May 11th 2009 put the kettle on, it's a long one
by Words: 8885 Photos: 29
- September 20th 2008 T.I.A. (This is Africa)
by Words: 518 Photos: 0
- January 7th 2008 village life
by Words: 1782 Photos: 0