Kampala - Jinja


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda
January 23rd 2014
Published: January 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Red Chilli Hideaway Hostel, KampalaThe Red Chilli Hideaway Hostel, KampalaThe Red Chilli Hideaway Hostel, Kampala

The armed entrance of the hostel.
Uganda “The Pearl of Africa” now “Gifted by Nature” was once described by Sir Winston Churchill at the start of the last century in 1908,.. “has a unique description which cannot be close to the truth….situated in the fertile heart of Africa, astride the Equator boasts of wide diverse landscape, from rugged snow capped mountains, the vast flatlands stretching to the horizon, Uganda offers visitors a wealth of breathtaking scenery”. Uganda gorilla Safaris and tracking form the pinnacle of the tourism industry Uganda.



Kampala - Jinja


Saturday 14th December 2013

We arrived in Kampala after a long flight via Dubai, we spent the afternoon and night at the Red Chilli Hideaway Hostel, beautiful views over the hills and the classic African secruity of iron gates and armed men.



Sunday 15th December 2013

Today we transferred to Jinja and stayed at the Nile River Explorers Camp for 3 nights. Here we met the tour group that we would be travelling with for the next 3 weeks, we also had our driver-called Partick and our leader/the guy who looked after us-George.



Jinja was our introduction to camping with our tent,
The NileThe NileThe Nile

Our view from Nile Rivers Explorers Camp xx
which is where we would spend the majority of the next few weeks! The tent, as you can imagine was too small for Dave, his sleeping bag touched the edge and every morning he woke up with wet feet from the dew. Generally in the tent, you didnt need your alarm, because the sun, birds and monkeys would wake you pretty early on! We bolied most nights in the tent and showers were needed morning and evening, although when we were leaving a campsite at 05,30/06,00 we generally skipped the shower and threw ourselves on the bus.

The camp at Jinja had amazing views from the bar overlooking the Nile, where we regularly saw aan abundance of wildlife including monkeys, birds, gekos and lizzards,plus locals fishing in their little boats. We enjoyed epic sunsets every evening.

Our first night was spent on a boat cruise along the Nile getting to know the group - the views were amazing and we had a great time. Waking up in a hot tent with a hangover was far less amazing!



Monday 16th December 2013

Today we went quad biking around the local villages in Jinja with our new friend Meghan from Vancouver. It was a great opportunity to see local village life, up close and personal.



Wednesday 18th December 2013

Today we walked around the main city / town of Jinja, checked out a few shops and dodged a couple of people following us. We enjoyed sundowners at an awesome local yacht club (which was manned by approx. 10 armed men), and then moved onto a local restaurant for curry. Apparently Uganda is well known for really good curry!

After 3 great days in Jinja we moved onto Queen Elizabeth Park, a mere 350kms... staying at a universaity campsite over night - half way.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb