Uganda's Great White Nile


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Western Region » Kabale
December 28th 2008
Published: February 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 262- DRIVE DAY (28/12/08)
Our time was up at Lake Buoyoni, time to pack up tents and get back on the truck. We stopped again at Kabale opting for a coffee in place of being harassed throughout town. Back on the truck we filled the time napping, reading and talking amongst ourselves before arriving at our first bush camp (no toilets, no showers, no running water... just a place to put up the tent!), where we’d previously stopped for lunch with the sponsored local family. After a game of Yahtzee the kids had soon arrived to watch the Musungu's. Opting for something more fun we attempted to teach them how to throw a Frisbee, despite their unorthodox methods they still managed to make it fly! With Mama and her daughters cooking dinner it became a long evening with us finally eating just after nine, treated to a local meal of sausages, maize, ugali, cabbage, potato and tapioca. We concluded the evening toasting some marshmallows with the kids. We settled in for the night whilst some other crew members had a distant encounter with a cow which resulted in one of the girls locking the other out of the tent and the rest of the crew in fits of giggles!

Day 263
After an uneventful night, free of intruders we packed up again and headed for Hairy Lemon a little Island in the Nile River. After a very bumpy ride, along an extremely narrow road catching multiple branches and a birds nest on the way we arrived at our pick up point. From here local man paddled us precariously across to the very cool "Hairy Lemon Camp". We opted to a swim/wash in the river (given it is the same water used in the shower) and a game of water volleyball. After a buffet chicken roast, chapiti and salad dinner, we watched Ed challenge Franko to drink the contents of the Frisbee not realising it was the best part of three pints.

Day 264
After a sleep in it was back to the river for an early morning volleyball rematch. A couple too many hours in the sun and was time for lunch and much to our disappointment time to head back to the mainland.
Back on the tiny boat with all our gear we made it back to the truck dry and hit the road to Jinga. We arrived at the "Nile Explorer's Camp" just after 4pm. We looked into upgrading to the cabin but slightly our of our price range despite our expert bartering skills, so it was back to the tent. Jez back on cook group whipping up some Mexican fajita's.
That evening we headed to the bar to view that days white water rafting, before we had a crack at it the following day.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.112s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb