Welcome to Gulu!


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Northern Region
June 6th 2010
Published: June 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Gulu is not listed in the travel blog directory of locations. That is where this entry takes place.

Gulu is a town in northern Uganda which has seen the worst of the conflict which only recently stopped. Most of the professors do not directly say the conflict is over since the enemy leader, Joseph Kony, has not signed the Juba peace accords himself. Only high ranking officials from the LRA (Lords Resistance Army) have agreed to the provisions. The professors only say the guns are silent.

We arrived in Gulu after a 5 hour bus journey which allowed us to see some of the ecological wonders of Africa. They would be impossible to investigate in whole since this trip is scheduled so heavily. The most amazing part was crossing the Nile river where it divides northern and southern Uganda. We were not able to take pictures because it is a strategic point for the Ugandan military.

After eating dinner together as a group in Gulu, I ventured out with Jared and a few others to check out a local bar to chat with some locals. We were eager to get a feel for this new place and the people living here. After obtaining a beer, a local man sitting alone called me over to his table. I sat with him and began to chat. It turned out he is the local councilor. This means he is in charge of keeping law and order in Gulu. He is not a police man or chief, but makes sure the police are doing their job correctly. He also squashes any mischief or plotting by citizens of Gulu.

I ended up sitting with this man for 3 hours since I took it as an extremely lucky opportunity to here about Gulu from one of its leaders. He taught me many Luo words. Luo is a linguistic group. The Acholi people of northern Uganda belong to this linguistic group. We talked about many different things. I got his phone number. He will be a useful contact while here in Gulu. He explained to me that every Acholi's name has meaning. His name, Olanyi, means he disturbed his mother as a child. He told me I need a name and said I would be called Bob Otim. Otim means you originate from outside of Gulu. He also told me the name Obama means the only bull in the herd. Obama's relatives in Kenya belong to the Luo linguistic group. Many Acholi of course argue that Obamas relatives migrated from Uganda to Kenya in order to claim he belongs to them. The people of Africa are given hope by Obamas story.



Advertisement



12th June 2010

Journey..
Well, sounds like you had a fortunate bar run. That's might impressive to be hanging out with and learning from Gulu's councilor. I'm sure he has some interesting stories. Also sounds like he was rather open to outsiders. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it in many African traditions to welcome stranger's as family? Hope you get to chat with "the man" again.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb