KRISTIS BIRTHDAY


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Eastern Region » Soroti
July 8th 2014
Published: July 12th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today is Kristi's birthday!!! A fellow July baby. 😊 There are multiple birthdays that have taken place while we have been here and mine is soon on the way as well! Seeing as it was on a Tuesday I wanted us to be able to do something special for it but seeing as we are in the middle of nowhere and they don't have much around, I thought it would be fun to head to Kumi (a neighboring village) for something different and some good food. Julius, our main bota-bota, had said there was really good Indian food in Kumi and seeing as Kristi had really enjoyed Indian food in Kampala, I thought it would be fun. Plus, there are actually grocery stores in Kumi where we can get some American snacks.....Pringles, chips (you have no idea how much we are craving something crunchy!).


We finished early in the maternity ward and headed out around 11am. Kumi is only around 15km away from Ngora. Once we got there we were stoked. We decided to find a supermarket to find out what the best place was for Indian food.


Years ago Uganda was colonized by the British and during this rule, the Brits brought in people from Indian to run the supermarkets. It's still like that today and its kind of a sore subject to Ugandans. All of the markets are owned and run by Indians. It's a Monopoly.


Regardless, we asked around and found out there wasn't a single restaurant in Kumi that served Indian food. 😞 We were super bummed. Just another instance of complete miscommunication in Uganda. So we decided to ask around and see if there was a good restaurant that people recommended. Someone suggested Kumi Hotel and so we set off for the place. Turns out it is a super nice hotel that seems somewhat catered to Americans. It's nicer than anything I've seen. We sat down and ordered some Chicken Curry with Rice and Chapatti. It was so good, hit the spot! Hopefully we will get to do more for Kristi's birthday this weekend.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb