Jinja!


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Eastern Region » Jinja
February 21st 2011
Published: February 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Andrew and Yasmine asked me if I wanted to come to Jinja with them for the day, so having nothing else to do, i said yes!
We got Bodas (motorbike taxi thing) down to the bus station, where we got a minibus taxi into Jinja! The thing with the minibus's are that they only leave when they are full! and its very cramped!
Again like with the drive to Murchison the scenery soon changed from the city suburbs/slums into lush green countryside!
As we neared Jinja the scenery became even greener as the Nile supplied large amounts of water to the local farms! Again the journey was littered with the small villages and towns, and markets selling the usual array of local food, fruit and veg! the freshly cooked food smelled amazing! but im still reluctant to try it!

once we got into Jinja town itself, we got out of the taxi on a busy street, surrounded by the hustle and bustle of a lively busy african town/city! (not sure which it is.......)
We wandered around for a bit, and found ourselves at the bottom end of the market, which was selling everything and anything, from spare car parts to american sports teams baseball caps! as well as the usual food and things like that! As we walked around some more we ended up stood outside the gates of a primary school, where the children seemed shocked/surprised to see us! they were shouting trying to get our attention, and one little boy shouted at us "this is AFRICA".

after about 5 minutes we decided where we wanted to go, and went off to look for more boda's to get us there! after a little negotiation we worked out a price! and we got taken after a little direction from Andrew, to Gateley on the Nile! a small hotel/resturant which supposedly has the best food in the town! we had lunch and some beers there, then walked back into town and wandered round the shops!
After a brief shopping trip we went back and looked for a minibus to take us back to kampala, we found a larger more comfortable bus!
We then Missed the stop we were meant to get off at! and ended up halfway across Kampala! we decided to have dinner at a resturant on our way back, rather than at the Hostel! We ended up at the Speke Hotel, which was very nice! we then walked off down the road, which must have been one of the more interesting walks ive ever taken! past groups of prostitutes and beggers (who follow you down the road, till they finally give up!) again we got Boda's back to Red Chilli, which was not the greatest of experiences, seeing as the drivers didnt really know where the hostel was, and id only done the journey in the light, and its much different at night, but we got back safely!
We had a few beers at the bar and then went off to bed!

I learnt my first new word!! "mzungo" it means white man in swahili! and what everyone calls us!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb