Total Gridlock


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
October 6th 2011
Published: October 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Transport Madness 1 31 secs
2: Transport Madness 2 23 secs
3: Transport Madness 3 16 secs
4: Transport Madness 4 12 secs
As a truck thunders towards you, you soon realize you are in a game of chicken. In a country where the largest vehicle has right of way, the Boda-boda hits his horn, swerving into oncoming traffic. You close your eyes and pray, hoping to escape with your life.

On entering Kampala you are amazed to see complete mayhem on the roads. As thousands of motorbikes swerve in and out of traffic you realize the road rules are simple. Larger vehicles have right of way, unless of-course you are a fearless Boda-boda driver.

As you climb on-board your Boda-boda with sixty litre backpack, day-pack and tent, you struggle to balance on the back of the motorbike. As the driver takes you through potholes, between trucks, and across sidewalks, you learn why five people die in road accidents each day.

the pollution is so thick you can almost chew the smog. The sound of horns and police whistles deafening, the direction of traffic bordering ridiculous and outright confusing. Your sense of direction completely lost while you cautious-ally watch for anyone who may grab your bags.

In a country where most ex-pats have an evacuation plan, you arrive wide eyed and cautious. Listening to locals talk of shootouts , grenade attacks and robberies is enough to make any independent traveler nervous.

As you begin to find your way around the capital you soon realize Kampala is not as intimidating as when you arrived. Eventually getting over the culture shock you begin to explore this fascinating but chaotic city.

As you wonder around the colorful markets and stunning mosques, you find yourself jumping from one Boda-boda to the next. Not to get anywhere specific, but for another adrenaline fix as you would a fairground ride.

As you pull up at the side of a bus, black smoke spews out choking everyone stuck in traffic. With nowhere to go you are forced to inhale , choking on the toxic fumes.

When rush hour hits, you get stuck in gridlock around the football stadium. Everyone shouting, drivers arguing, and car sound systems playing. While some fight, others blow gas powered football horns just for the hell of joining in the chaos.

Welcome to Kampala.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
More photos below
----------------------------------------------------------------------




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 24; qc: 108; dbt: 0.1238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb