Farewell to Kampala


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
October 29th 2010
Published: October 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Yes that time has come when after 10 weeks here in Kampala we have to say our goodbyes and move on. Kath and I are catching a bus to to Nairobi on Monday (only a hellish 12 to 14 hour bus ride!) then flying to Pemba in Mozambique the next day to start our 4 week trip down the coast.

Anyway the 2 highlights of the last few weeks here in Uganda have been:

1- A trip to Jinja for Kath and I staying at the lovely 2 Friends Lodge. We went just for 1 night but it was such a nice break from crazy Kampala. We wandered around the quiet streets admiring all the beautiful old houses, visited the site of the source of the Nile which is where Lake Victoria flows into the river and lay by the pool at 2 Friends.

2- Taking the children from PCA to see the Ndere Dance Troupe perform. These kids love music, dance and drumming so it seemed like the obvious place to take them for a night out before we leave Kampala. And they loved it, pretty much all of us ended up on stage during the night!

I'm going to miss this crazy city called Kampala, including the bizarre conversations that you have with complete strangers, negotiating with the boda boda drivers in pigeon Lugandan and English, the taxi vans that pass you by tooting like crazy with the conductor yelling out the destination to entice you in, the chapatti stands on every corner.....the list could go on forever!

Things I won't miss include; powercuts pretty much every day, the loud drone of the generator outside my room during the night, the red dust that turns to mud after the rain, the rain that falls pretty much every day now that we're in the rainy season, riding around on boda bodas through traffic jams and the many potholes that cover the roads here and once again the list could go on forever!

Hope you enjoy the photos. See you all in Mozambique!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Me sitting down by the NileMe sitting down by the Nile
Me sitting down by the Nile

With the source (and Lake Victoria) in the background
New taxi park, KampalaNew taxi park, Kampala
New taxi park, Kampala

one of the craziest places on earth!
Gorgeous JohnGorgeous John
Gorgeous John

complete with slingshot and camoflage greenery :-)
HeadstandsHeadstands
Headstands

Guide, John and Dan showing off their gymnastic skills at PCA
Jesus is HollyJesus is Holly
Jesus is Holly

One of the many amusing banners on cars and vans
Me and ShukuranMe and Shukuran
Me and Shukuran

Looking healthy after recovering from malaria.


Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0946s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb