Cracking coasts of Northeast Tunisia


Advertisement
Tunisia's flag
Africa » Tunisia » The east of Tunisia
November 18th 2010
Published: December 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The final leg of our trip took us from our home in La Marsa up the coast towards Cap Farina and beyond. We had seen some of the area from the comfort of a taxi and curiosity got the better of us!

Just half a mile from where we live is a big salt lake, Sebkhet Arina, which seperates us from the city of Tunis and the airport. There we were able to get a good look at the flocks of flamingoes currently residing there. Russ tried a bit of overambitious photography too with the binoculars and the camera combined! It was good but the ground was too soft to get much closer and we had to avoid the attentions of a helicopter spraying who knows what on the vegetation. We think it may be mosquito killer because we were pleasantly surprised by the lack of insect life!!

An hour of backroads later and we were driving through tunnels under the fortifications of Ghar El Melh. This place has 3 forts in varying states of restoration. The fishing harbour was lovely but the restaurant was closed as we were well and truly out of season. It was a fabulous place for strolling around in the sunshine and observing the fishermen at work.

Further along the coast the road deteriorates somewhat before ending at the beach. And what a beach!! It was practically deserted but there are a few snack shacks which presumably open in the summer. We think it would make a great place for camping in the spring when the weather is warm enough for Brits but not for Tunisians!!! The coast is quite dramatic and we walked out a short way leaving us keen to return in the future. The views out to Ile Plane lighthouse were nice but from the end of the peninsula they must be great.

Next we backtracked quite a distance inland. Our final destination of the day was Raf Raf Plage but there is no route over the peninsula so you have to go around it. It was quite a detour but the views as you drop back down to the coast are well worth it. The town of Raf Raf was nothing special but we did stop off for a take-away sandwich. We then continued a few kilometres further on to the beach where we sat and ate our late lunch. To our surprise all of the restaurants were open so we could have tried one of them instead, but it was really nice just sat out on the rocks eating our sandwiches and watching the world go by. After Cap Farina, Raf Raf was a bit touristy, but it's really not that bad and once again we may return once the weather warms up in the New Year.

Sometimes you find little treasures close to home. This day out was certainly one of those gems and we will certainly be back!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Fish RestaurantFish Restaurant
Fish Restaurant

Out of season though, so it was closed!


5th January 2011

Great photos!!
Good work. Fun be creative.

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb