Hergla - a quiet coastal village full of character


Advertisement
Tunisia's flag
Africa » Tunisia » Sousse
January 9th 2010
Published: January 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

About 30 minutes North of where we live is the small coastal village of Hergla. We had heard it was a beautiful place so we decided to go up and have a look. Unfortunately we had just missed the bus which runs every half an hour so Russ but his bargaining skills to the test and got a good price on a taxi.

Hergla is tiny but it has great views over the rugged coast and a splendid vista of the new Enfida airport which will soon open. The houses are mostly whitewashed with a brilliant blue trim and it is a treat to wander around its tiny streets observing the local characters. Seeing an old lady walking her donkey through the lanes is a treat for anyone!

The little harbour is quite picturesque too with colourful fishing boats and interesting people. It's a shame it was so quiet but we haven't found out what time of day the fishermen land their catch. That would be quite something to see.

Hergla is also famous for its wickerwork. You can buy baskets galore or some fish to hang in your apartment, all made from special grasses woven together. The
Local colourLocal colourLocal colour

Stare at the tourist and he WILL take your photo!!
mats made here were also traditionall used in olive presses to filter the oil.

We also met a local artist, an ex-pat Brit who paints wonderful characatures of the local people. Her colleague makes wonderful pieces from fabrics. Hopefully we'll have time to go back and buy something before we move on from Tunisia.

No village would be complete without its fair share of cockerels. We are frequently woken up by these beasts who, contrary to popular belief, do not crow at sunrise but throughtout the day - and the night!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Popular hobby!Popular hobby!
Popular hobby!

Rolling the gas bottle - well, they're too heavy to lift!


14th November 2010
Wicker souvenirs

Any more photographs?!
I stumbled upon your blog whilst looking for information about Tunisian baskets. I am loving your blog and pictures. Do you have any more info/images about basketry in Tunisia? Thanks for sharing.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb