Zanzibar


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar
June 20th 2011
Published: July 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After not showering for a week (thank you wet wipes) and dealing with hyenas at night we were looking for a change of pace and headed off to Zanzibar… which is yang to a safari’s ying I guess. We spent our time in Zanzibar between Stonetown, Nungwi and Kendwa… each a little different, but great in their own right.

Stonetown
The city has been around for hundreds of years and is a mix of Muslim, Arab, Asian and (of course) African influences… one of the ports draws is just walking the old towns narrow alley ways and taking in all that is stonetown. I walk here and want to take pictures of everyone and everything around me as it is very picturesque… everything from the oversized doorways with ornate metal decorations, to the colorful clothing of the locals which contrasts with the bland alleyways… culture drips here. One day I will master the art of taking pictures of people without offending them or feeling akward… working on it.

Nungwi & Kendwa
In the North of Zanzibar… basically we spent our time here doing absolutely nothing… Our most pressing concern was whether or not to get out of the ocean to take pictures of the sunsets or just stay in the water. We also happened to be there during the full moon and Kendwa has a full moon party that we “did”… us fogeys actually stayed up past 2am… lol. The ride up to the north is great as you pass through rural Zanzibar and get to view “small town” life on the way.

From here we are off to Zambia and South Luangwa National Park…



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb