2 Days of Diving at Zanzibar (Photos uploaded!)


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar
May 22nd 2007
Published: May 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Snorkelling off Mnemba AtollSnorkelling off Mnemba AtollSnorkelling off Mnemba Atoll

While we do our surface interval.. water is beautiful..
Just returned from Zanzibar to Dar Es Salaam on the early ferry this morning, headed straight for the Zambian high commission for them to stick the visa sticker on my passport.. and am now in the internet cafe waiting for them to complete the arduous task.. I've also received my Malawi visa last friday.. so at least visa is taken care of for the next 2 countries.. will try to get the Namibia and Botswana ones in Lusaka, Zambia.. Malawi Zambia visa cost 25,000Tsh (1USD = 1280 tanzanian shillings).. Will spend another night in Kipepeo Campsite on the south beaches, and will embark for Malawi tomorrow.. spend about 5-6 days there, before crossing the border again to Zambia..

First day on Zanzibar.. took the 10am ferry from Dar to Zanzibar.. took about 2.5hrs.. the ferry is similar to those that we take from Singapore to Batam or Bintan.. slept most of the way.. the first thing that greet you in Zanzibar is this container port.. not good first impression for me.. we checked into the Karibu Inn, which is centrally located (10USD/night for dorm).. and then embarked on the city and spice tour.. the city tour is ok.. went
Ruins of the old sultan palaceRuins of the old sultan palaceRuins of the old sultan palace

Part of the city tour
around looking at some old sultan palace ruins.. the slave quarters where they held the slaves before shipping them off.. and the spice tour is basically a visit to a plantation.. very much like Malaysia.. they showed us tapioca plants, mango tree, banana tree, tamarind, pineapple.. and cinnamon, gardimon, nutmeg, etc spices.. also showed us how they climb coconut trees.. the aussies love it.. to me it's macam my auntie farm in tg pinang that i visited when i was small..

decided to go for dives for the next 2 days.. did 2 dives around Stone Town for Day 2.. and did another 2 dives in Mnemba Atoll (Northeast of Zanzibar Island) for Day 3.. The dives around Stone Town (did a reef dive and a dive around a 40yr old wreck) is nothing spectacular compared to the Malaysian dives.. but our divemaster from Bahari Divers was very good at spotting out the marine life.. but after doing the dives around Mnemba Atoll. i'd say, forget Stone Town.. go straight for the dives at Mnemba Atoll!!

Our first dive site at Mnemba Atoll was aptly named Aquarium.. cos that's really how it felt like.. the water is clear
The crooked coconut treeThe crooked coconut treeThe crooked coconut tree

On the way to the spice tour
like swimming pool water.. and you can incredible visibility.. wow.. super super clear water.. did some drift diving there.. but not very stong current.. so cannot swim in superman pose.. haha.. saw tons of different fishes.. and the prize find.. (found by yours truly, ahem) was a Tiger Moray Eel.. it's huge.. and very beautiful..

Dived with this beautiful Aussie couple, Phil and Julie for both days.. Julie had an underwater camera and was kind enough to let me have her pictures for day 1 of the dives.. unfortunately, at Mnemba Atoll, her camera casing leaked water and her camera went kaput.. =( so no pictures for 2nd day.. what a pity!! cos the waters are so beautiful.. and the water is just simply filled with marine life.. Highly recommended if you want a good dive.. my best dive so far..

I think we dived over the limits at Mnemba Atoll.. according to my PADI table.. but our divemaster said that's becos i was using table.. using his dive computer, which takes into consideration the average depth and all that.. we are ok.. but anyways.. i felt fine yesterday.. but today i do feel a bit light headed...
Necklace made from tapioca leavesNecklace made from tapioca leavesNecklace made from tapioca leaves

pretty cool.. never thought of using tapioca leaves as that before.. haha
maybe will get into the campsite early after i get my passport and hit some hammock time..

I was supposed to follow the divemaster's car back to Stone Town.. but it broke down... so i hitched a ride with Phil & Julie, who booked a taxi for the whole day for USD80 (woah.. ).. we dived out from Metemwe from the East Coast.. and after the dive, we drove up to the Northern Coast.. where the Nungwi beaches is the most popular among tourists.. we spent the sunset there, and then drove back.. i was dropped off at their hotel..and then i took the local bus - dalla-dalla back to stone town.. 300tsh.. nice cheap and flavourful.. had some local food (basically lots of octopus) at the bus station.. yummy... before walking thru the narrow alleyways of stone town back to Karibu Inn...

I was planning to sort out the photos for the past few entries etc while waiting for my passport.. but my light-headedness and the slowness of this stupid computer is discouraging me.. maybe i'll do it later.. see how..




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Phil and I going up the dive boatPhil and I going up the dive boat
Phil and I going up the dive boat

for our dives off stonetown
That's Phil and Julie!That's Phil and Julie!
That's Phil and Julie!

Really nice people..
Yours truly hanging upside downYours truly hanging upside down
Yours truly hanging upside down

To observe some sea creature that i've forgotten what it was
Blue spotted rayBlue spotted ray
Blue spotted ray

taken off Julie's underwater cam
More nudibranchs..More nudibranchs..
More nudibranchs..

Phil and Julie just love them..
Mantis ShrimpMantis Shrimp
Mantis Shrimp

Lai nui har!! but more colorful than the ones we ate at Kuala Selangor... wonder how this'd taste... hrm..
LionfishLionfish
Lionfish

One of the many we saw.. there was this cute small baby lion fish.. all white.. but julie didn't manage to take a good shot of that
We saw many dhows sail by.. We saw many dhows sail by..
We saw many dhows sail by..

This is one of them
Check out my orange dive suitCheck out my orange dive suit
Check out my orange dive suit

Nice or not, Pyscho?


23rd May 2007

Sounds like.... Phuket
Nice nice nice...! The plantation tour, the dives, etc! Sounds like fun... but in a way also sounds like Phuket. Join the Siam Safari, ride elephant, ride ox cart, go canoeing, see rubber tappingm see fruit trees. Somehow, the ang mohs always like mountain tortoise never see before even though there are a lot of orchard homestays in Australia that even have the mysterious miracle fruit. You very studious. Go diving still bring dive chart. Really is not forget your engineering background. Tried drift diving once in Phuket with strong currents and it feels like you are using DPV. Shiokz! But must have good control but won't be able to make superman pose lah. Funny thing is that you will see the fish also fight against the current and bob up and down with the waves/current (relative to the rocks). Wonder if they get motion sickness... ...

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb