To the beach...


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Zanzibar » Nungwi
August 11th 2012
Published: September 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This morning we did a history tour of Stone Town, learning about the slave trade in particular. Lots of men were taken from Zanzibar as slaves to middle eastern countries. We seen the dungeons where they were kept for up to three days without food or water, just to test the strength of the man. The dungeons were not big at all, yet they would cram 70 men into one and 50 into the other. We also learnt about Dr Livingstone who is credited with helping to finally abolish the slave trade, there had been people before who had tried to achieve this but it was his negotiations with scholars at Oxford and Cambridge that ruled that the slave trade must be stopped.

After our history tour, it was time to head north towards Nungwi which is known as the beachy area of the island and has lots of luxurious hotels (none of which we were staying at). We checked into our hotel, the Nungwi Inn, which was nice for us, it had air-conditioning, an ensuite and the rooms all had a little porch area where you could sit at. The bonus was, the hotel was right at the beach and the hotel restaurant had amazing views of the sea. We spent the afternoon swimming in the sea and chilling in the restaurant, as well as booking a snorkelling trip for the next day. That evening we ate dinner with other members of our group and went for a walk on the beach.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb