DAY 6 - On to Lupita Island


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » West
June 28th 2011
Published: December 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The next morning we left the Serengeti for Lupita Island on Lake Tanganyika in western Tanzania. It would be a three-hour flight from Seronera to the airstrip at Kipili. We really hated to leave the Serengeti, especially since we never found a black rhino, or even a white one, but we looked forward to relaxing in luxury at Lupita. We flew for over an hour, then stopped to refuel in Tabora.Once we landed at Kipili, we had a ten-minute walk to the shore, then a ten-minute boat ride across to the island.

Remote, private and exclusive, the resort at Lupita Island was truly amazing. All open-air African style with a bar, dining room, pool area, campfire, spa, gym, game room and decks for taking in the beautiful lake views. Each area was decorated with local African art and furniture, and there were many places to lounge and lots of big coffee table books to peruse.

Our room… wow. We were three and so we scored one of the two large suites. 2400 square feet, two bedrooms, completely open-air without even a front door to bother with! We would awaken in the morning to a magnificent sunrise over the lake, then doze off again to the sound of singing birds.

The first evening, we were treated to a sundowner’s cruise aboard the Windsor Rose, the owner’s boat. There were snacks and beverages as well as swimming. Lake Tanganyika is the second oldest and second deepest freshwater lake in the world, and holds 18% of the world’s fresh water. We took turns jumping off the boat into water that was over 4200 feet deep! We were promised that the sunsets were particularly stunning, and they were right as the blood-red sun settled over the water.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb