Watching for Wildebeests—Further Adventures of a Texan in Tanzania - 1


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
August 16th 2009
Published: August 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Preface -

Wildebeests, also called gnus, are antelopes. They are not as agile as their cousins the impalas who, according to nationalgeorgraphic.com, can “leap distances of up to 33 feet,” often “soaring some 10 feet in the air.” Nor are they as sleek as their cousins the gazelles. They both run 50 miles per hour, but wildebeests lack the grace of their slimmer relatives. They are not very attractive. Their coloring is drab, they have eyes on the side of their head, and the only thing “cute” about them is their white beard.

Why then, the fascination with them? Documentaries have been made for the small screen, while others can be seen in IMAX with images so large that members of the audience feel they are in Africa with the herds.

Each year, the Great Migration takes place. Well over one million Wildebeests, along with almost the same number of zebras and other animals, cross The Serengeti in Tanzania, head for Kenya's Masai Mara, and finally come back to complete the cycle. During that time life begins and ends. Calves are born and due to predators, weather conditions, exhaustion and other factors, many of the young, old and weak die.

There's drama throughout the journey. Lions and hyenas lie in wait for a tasty meal. Crocodiles are eager for the animals to cross the river, because they too will fill their bellies.

Because there has never been a live global broadcast of the wildebeest migration, Phillemon L. Luhanjo, Chief Secretary in the Tanzanian President's office (a position similar to Chief of Staff for the US President), wanted to see if it could be done. He discussed the possibility with Lennard Tenende, a Houston professional who was born in Tanzania, before the latter returned to Texas.

As a result, the Tanzanian government invited him to bring a small team of experts to do a feasibility study. Lennard served as Executive Producer, Dan Molina and Bill Megalos (both were in Tanzania last May for the African launch of the International year of Planet Earth - IYPE) were Co-Producers, and I again was the Associate Producer. IYPE, whose motto is “Earth sciences for society,” saw the value of the project and endorsed it.

Our task was to work with our Tanzanian team of ten people with various fields of expertise, meet with government Ministers, university administrators and deans, tourism leaders, and businessmen in Dar es Salaam, then visit Arusha and the Serengeti to engage with experts—and listen. Only after getting their input, as well as seeing the areas for ourselves, would we be able to reach any conclusions.

I was eager for the return visit to Tanzania, a country that has indescribable beauty and marvelous people. The friends I made last year were happy that we were coming back. Keeping in touch by e-mail is fine, but there's nothing like being together face-to-face.


Please click on PREVIOUS Entry to continue. Click on photos to enlarge.


Advertisement



30th August 2009

Bravo
Engrossing. Well written. Interesting. Informative. Excellent photo work. Congratulations!
6th September 2009

Tanzania
Ellen, I read some of the writings in your travelblog. These are simply fascinating. Hope you continue your journey to other places and enlighten others in the process. Thanks a lot, Anisul
25th May 2010

Thank you for sharing this -- what a magnificent project. The migration sounds like an epic event. Inspiring to read about this. Beautiful photos as well.
25th May 2010

Watching for Wildebeests
I'm so pleased that you liked it. Travelblog is a wonderful site which integrates the photos with the story. It allowed me to be creative and share it with others like yourself.
4th June 2010

l real liked photos of the place,l should visit to see much more
6th June 2010

Watching for Wildebeests
Thanks for your comments.
15th October 2020

Will Look for Wildebeests during my visit to Tanzania and report back.
Let me get this trip started tomorrow.

Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb