Serengeti


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Serengeti National Park
March 24th 2008
Published: March 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

On the way into Serengeti National Park, we had to drive through the Ngorongoro Conservation Area along the rim of the Crater that we would come back to in 2 days time. It was an interesting drive because the conservation area aims to achieve a balance between the local Masai people and the wild animals. It was so strange seeing a herd of sheep in the foreground and then giraffes feeding on the trees behind them.

It poured rain the night before and the morning that we drove into the Serengeti, but by the afternoon things seemed to be clearing up. Or rather they were gearing up for another go that night. Lucky for us, our balloon safari was set to sail the next morning. Something that we'd booked 13 months ago and have been anticipating ever since. That night we got very little sleep as it was raining very hard. The rain stopped momentarily and we heard a lion chewing on something and then purring with satisfaction. Cute, but scary when it sounds like it's right outside your tent. We then got up at 4:30 AM and were picked up to go to the balloon launch site. By then, the rain had stopped and the skies looked to be clearing, but the pilot wanted to delay the launch just to be sure of the conditions. In the end, the balloon was cancelled (for the 3rd time in the last 4 days, so we were told). It was extremely disappointing, but we still have a chance when we return to the Serengeti in August (drier season). Others are not so lucky to be returning and missed their only chance.

So, we met up with the rest of the group on the morning game drive and saw mostly trees and long grass. Definately the wrong season to be looking for cats. We did actually see a surprising variety of wildlife for this time of year even though most of it was a long way from the road. The Serengeti (which literally means 'large open plains') is 14,763 square km. It's so immense and the vechicles are required to stick to the limited roads that have been put in. At this time of year, a person could drive for 5 days and not see a cat.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Wildebeest migrationWildebeest migration
Wildebeest migration

They migrate in the thousands between Ngorongoro, Serengeti and Masai Mara throughout the year.
CrocodileCrocodile
Crocodile

At the Snake park in Arusha where we camped before going into the Serengeti.
Storm cloudsStorm clouds
Storm clouds

Welcoming us to the Serengeti.
Balloon safariBalloon safari
Balloon safari

Sadly, we never made it past the launch site...
BirdBird
Bird

Hopelessly trying to eat a frog too big for its mouth.
BaboonsBaboons
Baboons

Riding bareback.
Wildebeest crossingWildebeest crossing
Wildebeest crossing

Not really a dangerous river crossing. This was just standing water from the rain.
Roadside marketRoadside market
Roadside market

On the way to Arusha.
RainRain
Rain

Rain, rain, go away!
FloodingFlooding
Flooding

Yup, it's the rainy season.


4th July 2008

Nice Pictures
Very nice pictures. I will actually be going through the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater in two weeks and I'm really excited about it. Your pictures just make me want to go all the more. Thank you for a great look at the wildlife of Tanzania!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb