Horombo to Kibo 4703m


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Marangu
September 20th 2008
Published: September 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It was really cold last we both slept in a number of layers of clothes, tea in bed again but this time i was at 6:30!!!

Breakfast the same as yesterday but a bit later, we set of for Kibo at around 8:30 via the zebra rocks!! The rocks were very cool we had a good look around and a took a few photos then over the hill on to the climb up to kibo.

We saw the peak of Kili up close for the first time!!

The walking was getting harder due to the altitlue and now we were in alpine desert which gave no protection from the sun. the guide said today was the day it would start to get harder and he was not wrong!!

By lunchtime the clouds came it and it got very windy and cold as we approached the overnight huts, they looked very close but it took hours to get there due to the steepness of the walk.

It took 5.5 hours to walk to Kibo huts and by the time we got there we were both feeling very ill. I was sick as soon as I got to the huts, Nick was ill within a few hours of getting there. We were told to rest as the assult on the summit would happen at midnight!!!

as we were both so ill it was hard to rest and we struggled to eat not a good start to a summit attempt.

Early to bed to be woken at midnight



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0679s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb