Polishing The Pulpit


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
September 5th 2010
Published: September 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

"Graybeards" Forum"Graybeards" Forum"Graybeards" Forum

I could have listened all day!
Have you ever pondered what it must have been like in the days immediately following the establishment of the kingdom of Christ? You recall how the number of disciples swelled to beyond three thousand (Acts 2:41 “about three thousand” plus the apostles, plus others who had initially been followers of John). Often I have contemplated what it must have been like to be in that throng on the Lord’s day! Just imagine! Thousands of voices blending together in praise to their Creator. Well, the Polishing The Pulpit lectureship event had a record attendance of just over 2,000 this year (2,043 persons registered). I was moved near tears as I was among hundreds at one of the singing sessions.
Allow me to drop back and set the stage. For some years now I have been hearing reports about the lecture program entitled: Polishing The Pulpit. Particularly my preaching brothers have testified to the personal benefit they have gained by their attendance. As the title would suggest, the gathering began with a focus upon challenging preachers to improve their effectiveness. Over the years it has expanded to challenge saints in all service roles - elders, deacons, youth ministers, ladies, missionaries, Bible class
"Evening Meditations""Evening Meditations""Evening Meditations"

Rich and moving lessons by Wayne Jackson
teachers, etc. I had been hearing the glowing reports, but this was my first time to attend. I had the opportunity to visit with brother Robert R. Taylor. This was also his first time to attend the event. His assessment was in line with mine. He told me he felt somewhat like the queen of Sheba felt about the reports concerning Solomon - The half hath not been told!
What makes PTP so wonderful? One crucial ingredient, in my estimation, is the number of “seasoned” preachers who are invited each year to present lessons. As these veteran warriors of the Cross expound upon the precious word of God they mingle in a dose of their rich experience to challenge us all. How wonderful to sit at the feet of such men as Wayne Jackson, Alan Highers, Tom Holland, Dan Winkler, James Meadows, Rod Rutherford, Jerry Jenkins, Winfred Claiborne (to name but a few). Lamentably, William Woodson was unable to attend and at the time of this writing is still in critical condition - fighting for his life. Many prayers are being raised to the throne of God on his behalf. It had been scheduled to present him with the Lifetime Service Award at PTP in recognition of his stellar service to the brotherhood. One closing session was titled the “Graybeards Forum.” A variety of thought provoking questions were answered by the “greybeards” (no literal beard was required). What are the best decisions you have made over the years? If you could do one thing differently, what would it be? Tell me about the hardest experience in your life and how you overcame it. How thrilling to hear these queries answered by such servants of our God!
Anyone who has attended a function of similar nature can appreciate the spiritual uplifting which occurs when deep Biblical exegesis and brotherly fellowship are available together. Securing any facility which will accommodate such a large gathering is necessarily costly. One of the best commentaries upon the benefits folks gain by their attendance is their willingness to drive great distances and expend their finances. We often seem willing to spend on less important things, like vacations and entertainment, are we not?!

To all our supporters we say thank you for allowing us this furlough to have such a rich opportunity as PTP.
In Christ’s service,
George



Breaking note:
Jody AppleJody AppleJody Apple

Lesson title: "Learning to think like God."

Just before I sat down to finish this writing, from the home of Jody and Evelyn Apple, we received word that our brother William Woodson passed away. Our great brotherhood mourns the loss of this godly scholar, writer, and friend. It is my prayer that his writings will continue to enjoy a wide circulation, and that his investment in people will continue to yield its precious fruit.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Karl & Janie CraunKarl & Janie Craun
Karl & Janie Craun

Joy's aunt and uncle
Dan WinklerDan Winkler
Dan Winkler

Large crowds enjoy the lessons


5th September 2010

One of the best blessings of PtP for Carolyn and I was to be able to see the Jensen family again. God bless you sweet family. just ken
6th September 2010

It Takes One to Know One
Hi George and family I humorously titled this, It Takes One to Know One” because you speak of those great warriors for the truth at PTP and I consider you as being a part of that wonderful group. What you have done (are doing) for the Kingdom and lost souls is no small thing. I am encouraged every time you and your family come to and speak to us in Stockton or read these blogs. (Ha, BLOGS, 5 years ago I never heard of a blog.) I pray for your safe travels and may God bless you. Allan

Tot: 0.602s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 66; dbt: 0.5213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb