Zanzibar (Nungwi beach)


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East
March 21st 2010
Published: March 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

En route to Nungwi, we stop off at the spice plantations run by the local community. This is a great experience and is very informative of the various spices and how the are grown and used in different types of food. We are treated to a feast of fruit chopped and preapred before our eyes. The cocunut is prepared after one of the locals scales a huge tree with his bare hanbds and a rope between his ankles (and a few tricks to show off).

We arrive into Nungwi with a similar unfortaunte sight - small rubbish dumps located near where the locals live (rather than being properly disposed / recyled at the beach resports and bars). Nungwi is quite probabaly the most idyllic beach I have ever seen - google some images and you'll see why (photos will follow - I promise!) The sand, sea, waves etc are all so perfect it's almost not real!...defintely the picture postacrd scene. Alos, we are treated to bungalows with fans - much required as this is an extremely hot and humid place.

We head out on a snorkling trip the following day on a local boat (called a 'dhow'). This feels like a long journey and requires the boat to be bailed of water (there is no plan b if it sinks!). Dolphins swim alongside the boat for a brief period. I also catch some rays on the tiop of the boat with and chat to the local boat owners (this i much to my regret as I later find out that I'm frying alive and I'm not he only one as some suffer blisters). The trip is very much worth it though as we come across an amazing plce nearby an island (called Mbebwe I think), which contains so many amazing fish. We also have fish on the boat for lucnh - tuna caught by the locals. The following morning is spent at the turtle conservation site where they accommodate turtles caught in fishing lines or found as orphans. The keep 25 on site and relase the oldest when an infant is accommodated. They also have a nursery and a highly regharded operation in helping to retain the population. Catherine has a swim with them but I decide not too - not becuase of the size of the turltes but becuase of the vibrant colour of my skin! All in all a great few days in Nungwi; it's easy to see why the area is regarded as an ideal honeymoon destination. The following night is spent in Stown Town where we say our goodbyes to some of the group, which is now reduced to 15. The next day we set off towards Malawi.



Advertisement



24th March 2010

Good to share
Really good to hear all your news and imagine your travels from a very wet Devon where we are visiting Rachel and family. You relay some amazing sights and conjur up some very different smells, not all sweet! It sounds as if you and your travelling companions are meshing together which is good. I like the fact that beer is on the menu daily. Continue to enjoy. Be safe.

Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb