In Tanga (Finally!)


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Tanga
June 29th 2009
Published: June 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mambo!

We have finally arrived. We attempted to blog last night, and, in fact, had a full page written after an hour on what quite possibly was the slowest Internet connection since Reagan was in office when the connection decided to black out. And so we will only paraphrase our last few moments in Dubai...

The highlight of our Saturday certainly was the surprise visit to the Rashid Government Hospital, where I discovered I am the proud carrier of a throat full of Tonsilitus! No worries, though - the nice doctor there prescribed medications and I've been taking them for a few days now and am feeling much better. And luckily the entire excursion only cost 335 Dhs (less than $100!). But the cultural experience was what really struck us: truly a delta of every racial river! Security officers enforced the gender-specific waiting rooms, and there were TONS of construction injuries.

And now! We arrived in Dar es Salaam yesterday afternoon and found a taxi to our uniquely African edition of the Econolodge hotel, then ventured into the city for dinner at a Chinese restaurant recommended to us by Karl Gingrich (Thanks Karl!!!). We were the ONLY non-Asians in the place. Very authentic. Afterwards, we were strolling down the block and passed by a restaurant hopping with locals late on a Sunday evening. The manager was standing outside greeting everyone, and invited us in for a drink so we joined him! Wonderful human being - lived his entire life in Zanzibar (island just off the coast of Tanzania) and has been managing the Chef's Pride restaurant for ten years now.

A Rotarian who had been born and raised in Tanzania picked us up from the Econolodge this morning (which cost us a whopping 27000 Tanzanian Shillings, only about $20) and drove us along the single paved road from Dar to Tanga. The 5-hour drive was absolutely mind-blowing...we passed dozens and dozens of every type of village imaginable, from a few thatch huts to a full-out shantytown bursting with people. Every stretch of the road was filled with people walking with loads of laundry and water and wood balanced on their heads (a feat which will forever be beyond my or Tom's comprehension...) and riding their bikes with loads of sisel thatch on the back.

We are staying with the very gracious family of one of the Rotarians here in Tanga, and just enjoyed an incredibly authentic Indian meal (after having endulged probably a bit too much in a fully vegetarian meal from a big family a few hours before! I literally had to force myself to eat this food...it's considered impolite to leave food uneaten on your plate, but as delicious as it was I don't think I could have squeezed another ounce into my stomach!!).

We attended the Rotary Club of Tanga's meeting tonight and met a variety of phenomenal people who have done (and are doing!) SUCH great things with their work here. Tomorrow, after a short morning stroll along the Indian ocean, we will be heading to the orphanage where we'll be working for most of our stay here. Very excited, to say the least.

Kwaheri from one of the most beautiful places Tom or I have ever seen! Parents, we're coming back someday. 😊

Love and peace to all,
Leah and Tom

PS - The world certainly is mourning the death of Michael Jackson. There was a 5-page article featured in The Gulf News in Dubai of "Wacko-Jacko in the Middle East", and the Tanzanian rap radio station DJ even gave him a little shout-out on air during our ride to Tanga today. I hope everyone back in the states is coping with their grief OK... :D


Advertisement



30th June 2009

Rock on!
Tom, Leah - Sounds like a once in a lifetime event! My mind is trying to imagine the scenery that you both are seeing, and I'm sure it is unbelievable! I've been enjoying the blog so far! Good luck to both of you!! - Brandon :)
30th June 2009

Glad to see that you are there OK
Leah and Tom.... So you met the manager of the Chef's Pride, he's a very friendly man. That area of Dar is a very friendly area. I always have difficulty walking through there, I go a ways and stop and talk with someone. So you turned down the opportunity to experience the ride on the bus to Tanga. I imagine that the Rotary didn't want you to do that. Take everything in. I warned you about contracting Tanzanitus and how it gets in your blood and it's so difficult to get it out of the system. The only temporary cure is a return visit. Enjoy!! Kwa Heri ya koinana Karl
2nd July 2009

leah and tom! ahh I am loving this blog!! you two sound like you are having the most incredible of experiences.. just as we knew you would! can't wait to hear more and we are all praying and thinking of you back here in the MKE :) my favorite parts of these posts have to be those describing the fascinating characters you are meeting along the way and I cannot wait to meet more of them along your journey! keep up the fantastic work and I can't wait to hear all about the orphanage and its children! missing you from the states, abby

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb