Ol' Tyme Jas and Ryan


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
July 5th 2006
Published: July 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Holiday Hotel RoofHoliday Hotel RoofHoliday Hotel Roof

Drinking and relaxing on the Holiday Hotel roof top.
Arriving in Dar Es Salaam, I withdrew some 100,000 shillings from the nearest bank machine which is about $100 Canadian and hopped in a taxi for Holiday Hotel, where I was to meet Jas and Ryan.

Although from the outside the hotel looked like shit, it was not too bad indoors, and had a nice roof, from which you could look over the city top and drink a few beers.

Jas (Jason Lush) is a friend from my years at BCIT and Ryan is a friend of Jas and Jord (Jordan Blanchet). We'll be catching up with Jord later on Zanzibar.

Jas, Ryan and myself just relaxed on the roof and drank a few beers and then headed for dinner. Dinner was amazing, and very cheap ($3 for a full course meal), it was well cooked and much better than what I expected.

We relaxed back at the hotel and watched the France and Portugal World Cup match, played some cards and had a few more beers. After watching France win we headed off to bed.

At about 4am I was awoken, (as Jas and Ryan have been for the last few days every morning) when
Holiday Hotel RoomHoliday Hotel RoomHoliday Hotel Room

My room at the Holiday Hotel in Dar.
a Mosque with speakers screamed prayers over the entire city.

Later in the morning we took a small trek to the port and hopped on a 3 hour ferry ride to Zanzibar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Prayer CentralPrayer Central
Prayer Central

The mosque with 12 speakers to ensure the whole city can hear the prayers every morning at 4am.
Sunset over DarSunset over Dar
Sunset over Dar

A sunset shot over the city of Dar Es Salaam, taken from the roof top of Holiday Hotel.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb