Not so much wine but lots of beautiful views


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Stellenbosch
December 5th 2009
Published: December 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So we left Hermanus on Saturday morning but first things first and we had wanted to visit the craft market and finish off some of present shopping since the end of the trip is getting nearer. Presents bought and a picnic lunch purchased from Woolworths we jumped in the car and headed for Greyton. The drive was a straightforward one but did afford us some beautiful views. Just outside of the town we passed a small creek and Paula thought she spotted an otter causing an emergency stop and a U-turn however whatever it had been that she had seen it had disappeared.

After a picnic lunch on the grass next to the Church in Greyton we set off again. As per the recommendation in my guide book we went via Genadendal which is the first and oldest mission station in South Africa and unfortunately we got there too late so were not able to have a look around. After a quick stop to ask for directions to take the best route to Stellenbosch and refill of the water bottles we set off. Once again we found ourselves on a gravel road and heading along Theewaterskloof Dam. We then started climbing the Franschhoek Pass and eventually came to the top and were greeted by a magnificent view of the Franschhoek village and area.

We continued on through Franschhoek where there was obviously some sort of fete going on and there were lots of marquees and people milling around obviously tasting the local wines that were on offer!

That night we spent the night in Stellenbosch and unfortunately we weren’t able to sample too much local wine as it was going to be an early start the next day as Paula and I spent our last day together touring the Cape of Good Hope……



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0744s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb