Published: January 25th 2009January 25th 2009
Hey again!! Firstly, got my postal address -
PO Box 813
So send me maaaaaaail if you can!! Apparently it can take 2-3 weeks for post to come/go, and often more than that, but its worth it!!
Finally know what I'm doing for the next few months anyway (although the way Outward Bound work, this could be subject to change at any moment) -
* Tomorrow (26th) to Feb 15th, we're in the centre near Cape Town (can't remember how to pronounce it!!) observing some groups and doing some site-specific work - hence why I'm not sure if I'll get to go online at all :( apparently there's a couple internet cafes in the town, but this site is way out of town apparently, and I might not get enough time to go in... we'll see how I cope with that :p
* Feb 16th - 18th, we're back in Sedgefield doing an assessment course - we're not actually getting assessed properly, but Deon thinks it would be good for us to join in and he can see what we're made of :p
* Feb 19th - March 1st, me and Iona have some leave, we're going to have to very carefully plan what we're doing, have no idea if anyone else is on leave from other placements, will need to find out.
* March 2nd, we have a training course which will last around a month I think.
* Start of April, I get to see Granny and Grandad :D:D:D which I'm reeeeeeally looking forward to.
So after that, if we pass that is, we'll be support staff, which should be good - I'm looking forward to the feeling of responsibility, at the moment I feel like we don't have a proper place, and the most responsibility I've had is going around taking pictures of the York High group with Deon's camera :p
Anyway, when I got back from the internet cafe last time, we had dinner and then I got to help dress up 'casualties' for the search and rescue mission we gave the kids. This involved getting my hands very covered in red and brown make-up/painty stuff, and smearing it on plastic 'wounds'. Noticed that night how amazing the stars are, seriously, I think they may have been just as impressive as the ones I saw in Ecuador!! So many, and so bright.
The next day, we got up to do PT again, but I had a mild bout of conrollable diarrhoea, so had to stop jogging :p got some coal tablets from Maria though, which helped slightly :) spent much of the day wandering around taking pictures wih Deon's camera, and being hauled out in to the sea kayaks again (and doing the capsizing, ugh, I'm sure I'll learn to love it eventually). Did the high challange-type thing again, and managed to touch the bar and nearly grap on!! Fingers were too sweaty though, and even if they hadn't, I wouldn't have managed to hold on anyway, too far away. Ach well. It is bloody far that bar!! Managed to get to the top of the Jacob's Ladder with a guy the same height as me called Roddy, which was quite an achievement!!
Then, I was told that we were going straight to Cape Town (I had been told a few days ago that we'd be here for another week before we went) and I totally panicked, I don't know why, I think it was just the severe lack of sleep and confusion. Came out of it on a total high though, and felt great when we came back to base - got some clothes washed in the basin (Me and Iona haven't been added to the laundry list yet) and I was properly hungry for the first time since getting to Outward Bound. They cooked a South African BBQ, and it was awesome!! Got hold of sweet chili sauce, ooooh yea :p and I had an amazing conversation with my Roy, can't believe I'm such a lucky gal :):):) and then me and Iona and Dali and Flip and Dave went to play pool - I actually played better than usual, despite Flip and Dali totally thrashing me!!
Today, I got up and did some stuff I needed to do, woke up really early though cuz of the sun/heat/spikey mattress!! Me and Iona helped KG and Lulu tidy chains and the camp mattresses (the dead rat smell was appalling) then ran to Spar to grab some stuff, then tried to plan what to do with our leave - its gunna take some amount of organisation!! Had a massive de-brief with everyone about how the York High course was (took ages!!) then had lunch, and now I'm here :D
Its quarter to 3, I think I'm gunna try and stay out of the Sun when I can to be honest, its absolutely frying and we're going to h ave to go out loads while we're in the place near Cape Town. Going to upload some photos for you now :D - ok, maybe not, the computer isn't detecting my camera :S
Love you all sososo very much, Lynni xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx