The Troop


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Plettenberg Bay
June 12th 2010
Published: June 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Its amazing how soon you can tell the monkeys apart, they all have their own distinct look and personality.
I will introduce the top monkeys in the troop and some of the other characters, and of course my favorites.
The top two males:
Mr No Hands - was rescued by Karen in area of Knysna, he was the alpha male of a wild troop, but had both hands chopped off by a trap, he healed & recovered (without human intervention), but had lost his position and so left the troop. He ended up alone and was surviving by raiding residential properties, and was in danger of being shot.
After he settled at the farm, he became the alpha male of Karen's troop.

Jack - was rescued from a township where he was kept as a pet on a lease. Jack is now the beta male.

The top females:
Harriet and baby Kali - Harriet was a wild monkey rescued from a B & B, she was alone which is very unusual for a female, no-one knows what happened to her troop. The owners where concerned she would bite one of the guests, so Karen went and caught her.
When Harriet arrived at the farm, Monki was top female, but Harriet oustered her, as mentioned previously this does not happen normally with females in a troop, but Karen's troop was only just forming and Karen thinks she may have been the top female in her previous troop.
Baby Kali was an orphan and was given to Harriet to adopt.

Monki - was a pet and the owners no longer wanted her. She has a male baby by Mr No Hands called Disney, and 2 adopted female babies Noodle and Shiraz both about 1yr old

Some of the other monkeys:
Didi (male) - was Karen's first orphan and he his so funny and very naughty, his is well integrated into the troop but prefers to be with humans, and will steal anything he can get his hands on.

Another favorite is Sputnik (because his ear stick out) he is also in the naughty club but adorable.

Zambi was found at the rear of Knysna hospital very badly injured with a bit to her head, and given to Karen. She is now well but has neurological problems, but we have all fallen in love with her.

Also Grub is a favorite, he is still a baby of about 7 months old and is so.

There are a total of 33 monkeys plus 3 new wild males (Tarzan, Greaves, and Gandolf) that are hanging around trying to join the troop, and because its mating time, Mr No Hands is very busy keeping them in their place

In addition to the monkeys there are 2 rescued husky dogs; Zorro 2yrs & Cleo 8yrs, also John's dog Tawny, two cats; Micheal and Baby Cat, and last but by no means least is a baby baboon called Gombo.
Gombo is the fattest funniest thing you have ever seen, he is also very noisy and demanding, he loves his food and if the monkeys get to it first he has a fit. Gombo was brought to Karen on a dog lease by a farmer, the mother had been shot and they kept Gombo in a cage next to their dogs for about 3 months and fed him dog biscuits, never touching him once, so by the time Karen got him he is very insecure. Karen is now his surrogate mother and Gombo will only go to her, but he now sleeps and plays with the monkeys nearly hugging them to death.

So thats the family, and there is never a dull moment.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



25th June 2010

Interesting change of pace
Hi Cheryl, it seems a very long way away from the corporate world. I am sure you are enjoying the experience. Lost your email address, can you resend it to me? Cheers, Phil
25th June 2010

Just got to grips with this blog lark - modern technology!! Just read all of your blog it looks and sounds fabulous. Who names these monkeys? Aren't they cute.

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb