Oudsthoorn and the Ostrichs's


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Oudtshoorn
January 3rd 2010
Published: January 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi everybody
I'm behind again, as usual but it's not so easy to get hold of a computer or of internet. We only have one adapter that works for all our chargers and we have to charge two cell phones, two computers, two cameras, a video camera, two Nintendo DS's and other stuff!!!
Anyway.....yesterday was my worst day of vacation but probably Rick and the kids's best! There has been some kind of stomach bug floating around and I was the lucky recipient yesterday. The night before, Taylor had snapped off one half of her fence appliance in her mouth (at 8:30pm) and I spent two hours trying to find a dentist so she wouldn't be stabbed by the razor sharp piece of wire that was left protruding. Trying to find a dentist at 8:30pm in the evening on New Year's day in South Africa is quite an undertaking, one which proved very unsuccessful. Taylor was so upset but she managed to fall asleep around 11pm just from sheer exhaustion and crying. I did speak to a couple of emergency services, of whom one dentist informed me she was "in the bath" and couldn't come in but that she would be in at 10am the next day. She wanted to charge me R1500 (about $250) just to come in. I had already tried to cut the wire with Russell's industrial size nail clipper and I have to tell you that the dents the wire made in the nail clipper which was subsequently rendered useless, didn't bode well with me. Anyway, the next day, Andrea (my cousin) managed to get us an appointment with a dentist about 1 minute from our hotel who informed us that she is on call 24 hours a day and couldn't understand why the hotel didn't refer her. She filed down the wire, removed the other half of the fence, filed that down and we were done in 5 minutes. She also refused to take any money whatsoever. I had started feeling lousy throughout the night with the most excruciating stomach cramps, which I will liken to contractions. Right after we got back from the dentist I went to bed and stayed there all day alternating between sleep and agonizing cramps. It didn't help to know that it was the most gorgeous day outside. Without me pushing them to sightsee and be moving every second, Rick and the kids had the best time doing nothing and relaxing by the pool. Finally I felt well enought to get up around 4pm. I took a shower and went down and sat at the pool for about an hour. Then we came up and started packing. We took a break to go out to dinner with Russ and Toni and Andy and Ivor at this restaurant called Vanilla in the newly revamped Cape Quarter. It is a gorgeous area that encompasses original Cape Mandalay houses which are very brightly colored, cobblestone streets and brand new shopping centers with magnificent restaurants and gorgeous, trendy stores. After dinner we came back and finished packing and I turned in around 2am. Toay, our guide for our Garden Route tour - Bruce - picked us up at 8:30 am and off we went to Oudshoorn. It was a six hour drive but so worth it when we reached our destination. We had a tour of an Ostrich farm and it was so much fun. We all stood on Ostrich eggs, the kids fed the ostrich's with dried corn from their hands and it was so funny 'cos the Ostrich brings it's neck down so fast and it looks like it will take your hand off, but it has no teeth, so it doesn't really hurt. Then we got to ride the ostrich's. All of us did it except Rick, even me. It was hysterical. Ryan fell off sideways into Ostrich poop (not so hysterical - for him at least) but it was a blast. After we left the farm, we came to our residence for the evening. It is called La Plume Guesthouse and is the most spectacular B and B I have ever seen. The guesthouses are fairly new but built in the old style of this area, kind of Cape Dutch architecture, and Rick and I have a large house with Tay and Jordy and then Jake and Ryan are next door. The little details and touches are spectacular. Once we arrived we were asked what we wanted to drink and we were served drinks and snacks in the formal living room. Then Rick and I sat on the balcony watching the kids run around outside. I got some spectacular photos. The bathrooms have rosemary on all the towels and even have gardenias in the toilets. We ate dinner in a formal dining room with candlelight, silver trays, formal place settings and ate the most scrumptious meal. Rick, Ryan, Jordan and I had Ostrich meat - served medium rare - very delicious but very rich - and Jake and Taylor had chicken. The dessert was scrumptious too. Melktert (milk tart) and meringues with caramalized condensed milk. Thank G-d my stomach doesn't hurt anymore.
Anyway, gonna sit on the balcony with Rick right now and enjoy the beauty of the surrounding valley.
Hope everyone is well.
Totsiens (goodbye) from Oudshoorn, South Africa
Jansy, Sal, Ry Ry, Jakey, Tay Tay and Jordy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1111s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb