Background: After the British seized the Cape of Good Hope area in 1806, many of the Dutch settlers (the Boers) trekked north to found their own republics. The discovery of diamonds (1867) and gold (1886) spurred wealth and immigration and intensified the subjugation of the native inhabitants. The Boers resisted British encroachments, but were defeated in the Boer War (1899-1902). The resulting Union of South Africa operated under a policy of apartheid - the separate development of the races. The 1990s brought an end to apartheid politically and ushered in black majority rule.
Blogs from Oudtshoorn
Latest Blogs from Oudtshoorn
- August 27th 2012 Cheetahs and Peacocks and Goats, oh My! (part 2 - pics!)
by Words: 20 Photos: 12
- August 27th 2012 Cheetahs and Peacocks and Goats, oh My!
by Words: 1550 Photos: 6
- January 22nd 2012 Yihaa.... Nochmal reiten ;-)
by Words: 242 Photos: 2
- March 24th 2011 finally some pics :)
by Words: 71 Photos: 60
- March 24th 2011 Ostrich Farm :)
by Words: 40 Photos: 26
- July 24th 2010 Ostriches in Oudtshoorn
by Words: 870 Photos: 23
- June 21st 2010 Ostrichs and Rastas
by Words: 670 Photos: 19
- June 7th 2010 Cheetah's and Meerkats
by Words: 691 Photos: 25
- May 20th 2010 And now things are good again!
by Words: 839 Photos: 53
- May 19th 2010 A day of good - and bad...
by Words: 822 Photos: 35
- May 18th 2010 Hittin' the road!
by Words: 830 Photos: 28
- March 11th 2010 And then we nearly hit a tortoise!
by Words: 588 Photos: 10
- March 1st 2010 Garden Route
by Words: 437 Photos: 6
- January 3rd 2010 Oudsthoorn and the Ostrichs's
by Words: 912 Photos: 0
- October 13th 2009 Part 2 Eastern Cape - Week 4
by Words: 1704 Photos: 16
- August 26th 2009 Ocean to Land
by Words: 940 Photos: 7
- July 21st 2009 Oudtshoorn - Deep Caves and Big Birds
by Words: 640 Photos: 15
- June 7th 2009 photos
by Words: 707 Photos: 79
- March 21st 2009 Travelling back to Cape Town
by Words: 85 Photos: 10
- December 7th 2008 Continuing from Cape
by Words: 811 Photos: 0