Day to Cape Town


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
January 22nd 2014
Published: February 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Spent the day in Cape Town which is only about 45 minutes from Gordon's Bay and an easy drive on the N2 (freeway). We took the "Hop on and off" bus, the red route which lasts about 2 hours and covers the city center and some of the coastal areas around the city.

See pictures of Camps Bay beech which is an area where the notables of South Africa visit and is used regularly to shoot TV commercials etc. A beautiful beech area. We hopped off the bus and had lunch here. Spent the balance of the day at Victoria and Albert Waterfront development which is one of the nicest shopping, dinning and entertainment areas that we've seen anywhere in the world!!

Cape Town is a very dynamic city and appears to have a thriving economy. We noticed a lot of activity in the harbour area which appears to have a busy dry dock and there were 2 large oil rigs under construction.

On the freeway (N2) between Cape Town and Gordon's Bay you can see where the Townships are located. There are miles of these "shanty towns" that reflect the disparities here and to a great extent in the rest of the world. Although Political Apartheid ended over 20 years ago, economic and social Apartheid is very evident still. Lets hope the Leaders and Powerful people attending the Davos Economic Forum, can figure out how to narrow the income gap. Someone said that it's not that South Africa is poorer than any other African country, it's just there are so many more rich people which highlights some of these disparities mentioned.

This is a very resource rich country that has the 29th largest economy in the world. It has some much more potential than what it is currently realizing.

Okay enough of this serious stuff!!! We're on vacation or I should say taking a break from retirement!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.323s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb