Day 3: Cape Town


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
August 14th 2012
Published: August 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today was a real lekkerday. Yesterday I made mention that I was heded to Stellenbosch to do a wine tasting day, so today, that's what I did. It really was a marvelous day. We went to 4 wineries. The first specialised in champagne style white wines. We tried 3, plus a rose and a dessert wine while sitting around a fire place; the perfect beginning to a cold and miserable day.

The second winery we tried 3 white, 3 red and a brandy. Fern, our tour guide, made sure that it was known I was celebrating my graduation from uni, so I ended up getting larger 'tastes' from all the wineries. At this winery we tried red wine with dark chocolate. I never thought it would be good, but it really is. The barman at this winery was really nice, I ended up chatting to him for so long that Fern ended up telling me that we had to move on.

At the third winery we had lunch. I had a great rib eye steak with blue cheese butter. It was cooked to perfection. From there we tried a few more wines, including a honey wine and a wine fortified with grappa. the grappa wine was so smooth,you would never know it was a fortified wine.

Finally we went to a winery that also speciallised in cheese. We picked a wine and were told which cheese to match it with. It was so great. Overall it was a great day, with a small group (me and 4 others) so it was really well tailored. We were even able to take a detour through Stellenbosch University to check it out.

For dinner I headed to Arnold's, a place that specialises in game meats. I had the game platter, which consisted of (from left to right in the photo); ostrich fillet with a pepper sauce, gemsbok fillet with a mushroom sauce, crocodile ribs in a cranberry sauce and warthog ribs basted in its own sauce. It was a really great dinner. The only problem is, no matter what, we will always compare something new to something familiar, so I couldn't help thinking it all tasted like beef or chicken, even though it was different.

Once again, photos will be up as soon as I find a computer that can manage the plugins

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb