The last supper...in Cape Town


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
March 10th 2010
Published: March 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our last few days in Cape Town...

We checked into a guest house out in Camps Bay, surrounded by beautiful white sand beaches and the majestic 12 apostles in the background. In fact Camps Bay was just in the news a few weeks ago for a shark attack that had killed one person. We haven't see any sharks but have seen a pod of dolphins here and enjoy the people watching here...the buff, the beautiful and the fabulous....

Our last couple days were spend sporadically at the beach and hanging out with our two favourite American friends, Glen and Corrin. They have been in Cape Town now for 3 weeks and have finally gotten their Toyota Landcruiser. Their plan is to drive all the way to Cairo (and maybe back) over the next year, (see mom - now that is adventurous). I told Ryan we should join them on their yearlong expedition with a mischievous glint in my eye. I could live out of a landcruiser for a year no problem, but Ryan '5 star Menzel would be challenged with it. We really enjoyed our time with them over many a meal and many a wine bottle. Can't wait to see you guys again in Mt. Hood - XO.

We spent another morning wandering the Bo-Kaap district, an area of Cape Town formerly known as the Malay Quarter. It is quintessentially a Township, situated on the slopes of Signal Hill above the city centre and is an historical centre of Cape Malay culture in Cape Town. Colorful houses and cobblestone streets, truly beautiful.

We also made it up to Table Mountain (via cable car). We did the couple km hike at the top and decided to have some bubbly enjoying the views. We had good intentions (I promise) of doing the couple hour hike down but when we got up weather conditions changed for the worse and the cable cars were being shut down due to the wind and cloud cover so we decided we didn't want to get stuck on the mountain side and to take one of the last cable cars.

We are official experts now in navigating Cape Town, such a shame to leave this place. I could really see myself living here. This place has everything a person needs (minus the parking attendants).

Not to be outdone by Ryan we had our last tan off sans sunscreen. Stupid fools...we now look like lobsters and know how the sun is here. What tans we did have should be fully shed by Calgary. Our last post will be the best and worst of S. Africa...stay tuned. For now, en route to London for some crumpets and tea with the Queen.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb