Cape Town Day 1


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
March 23rd 2009
Published: March 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

I woke up yesterday at 6:30 AM and glanced out the window. The sky was just beginning to lighten behind the Twelve Apostles, the mountains next to Cape Town. It was awe-inspiring! It looked completely two-dimensional: black mountains, pale sky. As if someone had hand-town a piece of black construction paper and laid it against a pale pink background. Stunning. Eventually the far left peak turned into Table Mountain as we rounded the bend. Absolutely the most gorgeous entry into port imaginable. One of the best memories of the trip!

Our berth is smack dab in the middle of the V & A Waterfront. About the equivalent of being parked in Nordstrom's parking lot for the Mall of America. We can easily walk to the huge shopping mall as well as many other waterfront attractions. Mom and I took the hop-on, hop-off tour bus around the city which took us up to the cable car for Table Mountain. It was a perfect, cloudless, 75 degree day, so perfect for the trip up. Mom and I totally enjoyed it. The view was amazing. The trip takes only 4 1/2 minutes in a car holding up to 65 people and it revolves once on each trip. Erin Masimore: I cannot believe you walked it especially on a hot day! I am tremendously proud of you!

Bill Roth: the stadium for the 2010 World Cup is coming along nicely. It's located quite near the ship, right on the waterfront. It's all the South Africans talk about.

Hugh arrived a couple of hours ago and is now taking a nap after his 16 hour overnight flight. It sure is nice to have him back. I'm thinking of going back to Table Mountain this afternoon while the weather is so good.

It is Mom's birthday. The cruise office in Mpls sent her a specail birthday breakfast including two huge cold lobsters, caviar and champagne! And a Timex watch with the Fred Olsen logo (Fred Olsen owns Timex.) She'll get a cake at dinner along with a serenade from the waiters. She feels great. Not bad for 87!

Time for lunch.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb