Day 3- The Reluctant Tourists


Advertisement
Published: April 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The morning after the night before began with the squawk of the Hadida (an Ibis), how long it will reign as master of the morning remains to be seen. The boys have started to collect an arsenal of slingshots and are plucking (pun intended) up the courage to initiate offensive operations.

After an early breakfast Peter our guide for the day met us at 8am to board the bus to go up Table Mountain. The views were simply stunning it would not have been possible to select a better day if you waited a thousand years. Nasser (Nasser) got his picture taken with a lone Dassie and looked set to set-up home until the Ghost snatched him away. Ears looked resplendent in his Bare Essentials swimsuit (Discount available for blog readers, how am I doing Cheryl), the red colour matched the management teams eyes nicely. The Banker showed his sensitive side particularly when pushed close to the edge, at last we managed to get his voice to rise from bass to tenor. Ever the adventurer the rotating gondola stretched him beyond his limits and he had to sit on the middle bit, with the operator, looking like a pole dancer on a revolving dance floor (so I am told....) Table Mountain - Tick!

Back on the bus for our Cape tour, one of the most picturesque drives on this or any other planet. First stop was at Hout Bay, after a quick feed we all boarded a boat to Duiker Island for a spot of seal watching, although Boots and Puck spotted a few birds overhead that needed close scrutiny. Seals - Tick!

From there we drove up the Champman's Peak drive with the dramatic Atlantic coastline dropping to the cold grey ocean below that was glistening in the early morning sunlight (jealous yet?) On the way around a bend we spied a few police vehicles and a crowd of onlookers. Yep a little red car had taken a drive off the edge, fortunately on only a 45 degree slope so it was rescueable by winch. Possible fatal accident - Tick!

After the boys were all sceneried out we stopped off for lunch in Simonstown home of the SA navy on the Indian Ocean side of Cape Horn. On the way to Berthas, for a health meal, the boys acquired more weapons to add to the growing armoury plus all sorts of other tasteful tat (crap). The health meal was a hit consisting of all the major food groups; fish, chips, burgers, ice cream and Pepsi (served in a coke bottle to take the pressure off our sponsor). Sponsor saved - Tick!

Back on the bus and after shennanigans at lunch the court had to go into an emergency session. The crimes will stay on tour but the Judge had to make a choice between Plumshot (Cameron), Ears and Spaceman (Tom). It was a difficult choice but being a chip off the old block the Spaceman won the right to take over wearing the mankini from Ears. It has to be said that he wore it with relish and the pride felt by Pete will be palpable. Second Generation Male Bikini Wearer - Tick!

So off to Boulders Beach for a spot of penguin watching. Surprisingly they are small, black and white birds. Penguin - Tick!

Now for the run down to Cape Point where the 2 oceans meet. A trip on the funnicula railway up to the light where it was a tad breezy to say the least. Bomber got a tad worried by the ferocious Feld Maus but reassured himself by doing a Michael Jackson when it was explained it ate nuts. We found another 1000 foot drop to the ocean and now have pictures of the Banker recoiling in horror on 2 SA mountains. Cape Point - Tick! Kingsley crapping himself...twice - Tick!

Onto the bus for the return journey, where I write this blog. Tour of the Cape Horn Peninsula - Tick!

A final act of depravity of a celestial nature shocked all present and has now resulted in the sacred mankini being passed on to the first half back. Sox (Euan) take your bow. Half Back in a ladies swimsuit - Tick!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb