9 - 10 Feb 2010 Back into South Africa - Clanwillian in Cederberg


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Northern Cape » Springbok
February 10th 2010
Published: May 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

IT was a 118 km drive to cross the border into South Africa again. Just be aware that crossing this way takes longer than coming into Namibia but there is no charge. We had decided to stay in Clanwilliam for the night at the Clanwilliam Lodge, which looks amazing on the Internet. We hadn't booked it, so when we arrived, we asked for a room. I'm quite sure they overcharged us as the internet said it was only £60 per night but we paid about £80. The lodge is very dated now unfortunately although we can see that it once was a fabulous place to stay and if someone would 'do it up' it could once more be a gorgeous hotel. Our room was quite poky but the shower was great - best shower I have had on holiday ever. We walked around Clanwilliam briefly as we expected it to be a lovely colonial town, on the edge of Cederberg with much history attached to it. I'm sorry, but the town is a dump and we felt totally unsafe walking the streets. Hardly anyone was walking, most people drove around and parked right outside where they needed to go. You could spot class differences a mile away and there is true snobbery in the white working class/upper class.

We didn't have time to see Cederberg Mountains as we wanted to get back to Cape Town quickly the next day. We had a very yummy meal in the Clanwilliam Lodge and the breakfast was also very good. Just note that the pool is really dirty and although it was being cleaned, I decided not to try it out.

On our way to Cape Town we had a nice view of Table Mountain as we were getting closer and we were truly excited about seeing Cape Town.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb